Trying to make informed decisions for my first motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Alright, so, I'm new to this whole scene, as well as the forums, and I'm really wanting to build a motorized bicycle. I've done some research into several aspects, and I now want to directly ask some experienced users.

Problems: Don't have a bike[1] right now, and I don't know what engine kit to get. Now, here is a warning, I'm looking at walmart bikes, so before you start bashing walmart or anything of the sort, keep in mind that not only am I working with a budget, but I'm going for my first ever MB and not wanting to drop a lot of money into something that I may not stick with for long (or if I FUBAR a bike, have it be no big loss). That being said, here are the 3 bikes that I have an eye on at present, in no specific order:
A Walmart.com: NEXT Amplifier 26" Men's Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys
B Roadmaster 26" Men's Mountain Bike - Walmart.com
C Huffy Men's Road Bike, Savannah - Walmart.com

The two main engine kits I've been looking at are:
A Jet 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Motor
B Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Motor

Now, in regard to the engines, I'm a North Carolina resident, so I'm not legally allowed to be riding anything greater than 50cc, and the two kits I listed go back and forth between 66/80cc and 48cc in the description, but have 48cc in the title, and in the specs listing, so that's good enough for me.

Primary orders of business: Is that a decent distributor for engine kits (where should I go if it is not), are those kits I selected going to be decent[2], and are those bikes going to be sufficient[3] (is the engine going to mount properly, with ease, etc.)?

Bike A has an aluminum frame, and I know some people will stand opposed to that. I'm 6'3" and only about 140 pounds; I doubt it's going to be too much weight or force to crack the frame or bust spokes. Bike B has a steel frame. It is also for some reason 10 USD cheaper. Bike C is listed as having a Hybrid frame, which doesn't tell me anything.

[1] in proper condition or frame style. Also see [3]
[2] from what I have read so far primarily on these forums, there are no significant differences between kits other than displacement, some accessories, and warranties
[3] again, no bashing just because of the Walmart origin. I got a bike from a Walmart, possibly a Target, when I was 13. It still rides well and I'm 21 now. Only issues are the rust from me leaving it outside for years, a frozen rim brake (rusted, I assume), and a busted gear shift which was from me crashing the bike one time.

Thanks for your time, everyone.
-Spaz

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Re: Trying to make informed decisions for my first MB

I'm 6'1" and about 220lbs. My bike is a NEXT/Vertical/Dynacraft frame, and it's all aluminum like that. I have not had any issues with it, with about 500 miles.

My big concern with Walmart bikes is the way they're put together, and a few parts like bearings. I replaced my entire rear wheel with a double-walled rim, replaced all bearings, and made extra sure everything was in working order.

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA

Thank you for your reply, Pilotgeek. Alright, so the bike sounds like it will be fine. Now about the engine kits; is that a reliable supplier, and are those decent engine kits?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH

I would suggest looking at the hybrid frame. It will be more comfortable to ride when motorized, it will have you sitting up straighter and the seat will be a little wider and more cushioning.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

I really like my wally world girls. Never had any real problems with em, alum or steel. Had a alum Point beech last for 8K miles that I documented. (due to some body telling me I was either lying or didn't know what I was doing) The rear wheels really didn't stand up well against over sized 4 smokers but I also only used rag joints.

For kits, I have been away from 2 strokes for to long to be of any help.

I do feel obligated to warn you these things are crazy and highly addictive. I can not decide what I enjoy more. Building, riding or planning. So yer eventually gonna want 3. The one your ridding, the one your building and the one your planning, snork.

If ya get a chance, try and hit a local ride or rally. The folks are great fun and will give you a chance to ride a few and ask questions face to face. Folks are a little more forthcoming about the good, the bad and the addictive.

Ride safe and post lots of pics!

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA

Thanks guys. You've been a lot of help so far. :D

I do feel obligated to warn you these things are crazy and highly addictive. I can not decide what I enjoy more. Building, riding or planning. So yer eventually gonna want 3. The one your ridding, the one your building and the one your planning, snork.
Oh, I know. All bikes, man powered, motor/man powered, and exclusively motor powered are. I've been wanting one for such a long time, and finally have the means to go for it. All my talking about motorcycles and such has gotten my dad back into it from when he was my age. He's actually going to be getting a moto (he has his eyes on a black and chrome Honda Shadow 750), despite my mom's desires. Right now, she thinks his getting a bike is what started me. Boy is she wrong, hah!

Anyway, the only thing keeping me from ordering the engine kit right now is wanting some thoughts on the 48cc Jet from Gasbike.net / kingsmotorbikes.com. I think it's a little screwy how both of those domains have the same set up, same items, same prices, same phone number, but different catch phrases and domain names. They even share the same reviews and link to each other in some places. Just makes it a little fishy in my eyes...

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca

FISHY? good eye. read up your find answers. use the search. most of the ht's are a gamble [bairdco gets thousands of miles out of his] but anything cheep from china is just that. harbor freight motors are dollar for dollar better than honda's if you cant rebuild a carb,clutch,top end. i'd go to creigs list and buy one that someone lost intrest in. some people put alot of goodies on a nice bike then sell's it cheep. what ever you do welcome and theirs alot of used car salesmen selling kits. see $20 find post

Last edited:

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA

Alright, did some more digging and I don't like what I find for that/those sites. Found a few other sites, more expensive, better reputation, but I also found one on ebay for about the same as gasbike/kings but the ebay seller has good history and such. Purchase has been made... Now we wait. I'm so freakin excited! Hahaha!

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa

The zbox 80cc has a bigger front mount than the others like grubee. You might need a front mount modification.

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA

Alright, noted, thanks. I'm going to wait until I have the engine in hand before I make a final decision on which bike I get. With luck, one that I like will need little to no modification / extra mounting hardware to equip the engine.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA

I'd also check out craigslist for a used bike in good condition to start your build on. There's tons to be had for around the same price. Especially mountain bikes/commuters. Just a thought.

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA

Most of the ones i've found on my local craigslist so far are either not what i'm looking for and the same price as a new Wally Worlder, or a lot more and what I'm looking for. I'm certainly gonna keep checking though.

I found a very good condition bike (looked as if it was straight from a store) for 45 bucks, but didn't have a front shock. Not sure how much a fork with suspension would cost, haven't checked.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

Most of the ones i've found on my local craigslist so far are either not what i'm looking for and the same price as a new Wally Worlder, or a lot more and what I'm looking for. I'm certainly gonna keep checking though.

I found a very good condition bike (looked as if it was straight from a store) for 45 bucks, but didn't have a front shock. Not sure how much a fork with suspension would cost, haven't checked.
The trick is to find one that cost hundreds new and is a much better bike for the same a new wally bike cost. IMO cheap suspension forks are worst and much more unstable than having no suspension at all.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca

no one in their right mind plays tackle football on the asphalt [over 50] but will ride that bike that was made for 10mph at 25+mph. hi-sides hurt! just do it as safe as you can and remember that you have to stop too. good luck! and don't forget a nice mirror.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA

I've been riding bikes for 45 years (I'm 51) and I've owned over 25 bikes. I can understand not wanting to spend a lot of money.

If you go with a Wal-Mart bike.....it is what it is. In the end, you're gonna spend more then what the bike is worth on replacing parts over the first year-but if that's all you can afford....that's all you can afford.

As far as the kit? I'd go with the That's Dax friction drive kit and the GT50R motor they sell. Yeah, it will cost you close to 350 bucks all in for the motor and the kit....but you will be able to put it on another bike in about 20 minutes if you are handy with tool.

If you look into most of the in-frame mounted motors- they use what's called a "rag joint" to attach the rear sprocket to the rear wheel. In my opinion....that's some janky engineering that's only gonna cause you problems. You can buy adapters that get around this issue- but if you are on a budget- the adapter might not fit the second bike (or third bike) you might happen to buy down the road.

It's gonna be a pain to change a rear flat, it's gonna destroy the rear spokes over the course of a year unless you get it installed absolutely perfectly.

Advantages of friction drive........

You can easily disengage the friction drive completely and use your bike as a bike.

The friction drive kits use a centrifugal clutch, so there is no clutch to worry about.

It will fit about 90% of bikes made-it will easily swap out to the second (and nicer) bike you're gonna be eventually buying if you get sucked in.

My Dax kit will hit 35 mph no problem. I am typically quite content to putt along at 20 mph...but it's nice having the extra power in reserve to climb hills.

One downside- the friction drive kits absolutely suck in wet weather...they are basically unusable when it's wet out. That's not a concern for me as I am a fair weather rider.

And dealing with Duane at ThatsDax-the dude is 100% focused on making sure you are happy with what you buy-if you have any questions...his personal phone number is right on the front page of his website.

His website is advertised on the right hand side of the message board :)