performance wheels

GoldenMotor.com

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
I am not sure this is the right thread for this, but I will try.

So what are people using for racing rims? I see alot of mags used for racing, but there are also alot of spoked racing wheels out there also.

If your using spoked wheels what is the with size your racing with and why?

What is a better width, a 1 3/8s, or 2 inch rim? I know you have more tire contact with a bigger rim, but does that now sacrifice the speed, or visa versa?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Double wall aluminum rims with 13g sapim spokes would be the strongest and lightest, using 12g spokes is stronger and somewhat heavier; I use 14g spokes with 32 spoke front and 48 spoke rear. I don't race but I drive it like I stole it!!! :D

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I have cheap, no name, single wall 24x1.5 alloys on my china racer, 12g spokes in the rear, 4x laced into a coaster brake.

Front has 14g spokes and some no name alloy hub. Wheels originally came off a 2008 SE socal flyer.

Sounds like junk, 'cause it is. Bike used to do 45, now it does 35 with an almost stock motor. Haven't had to true them since I built it 2 years ago.

I'm still working on a project (by "working," I mean I'm doing absolutely nothing with it) that's gonna have 24x2.5 weinmann double wall alloys, front and rear drums, and 12g spokes. Gonna have a minarelli moped engine, and should be really fast.

But I got other projects going, and I just don't care enough to get on it.

Unless you're strictly drag racing, or you're 5' and 80lbs, skinny rims are probably not the way to go.

The tracks we race on are full of dirt, oil, sand, blacktop patches, and slippery.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've been running Double wall Supra D wheels. 31.7 mm wide, with Tx Quando sealed hubs and 14g spokes.

As well as Mavic 325 Disc, and Sun Double Tracks with DAM Good Hub

For cruiser wheels I usually use Husky

Attachments

Last edited:

ru14real

Jan 7, 2016
warrenville
Thanks Dave for the info. I have never heard of these brands before. I was also thinking about the Alex DX32 rims. Do you have any experance with them? Why did you decide to go with the Supra D rims? The TK Cuando looks like a nice hub. I was thinking about going with Lynn from Wisconsin's hubs and wheels. Now i have to think twice about it. Those parts listed there are really expensive, but they also look like quality. The Dam Good hub looks awsome, but sadly I dont have money to throw down for it.

I have to ask also, where is everyone getting the spokes from? Everywhere I look, they want more than a dollar for a spoke. I would imagine if you buy in buld the price would come down.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Dx32 is good, it's a 39mm wide rim. I run a Dm24 48h rear, it's 32mm wide. The front is a mavic x223. But for my next big upgrade I will be going with skinny fat rims at 65mm or so, this site has good prices check the double walls www.robsson.de .

For spokes you want stainless steel straight gauge. I like the cheapo wheelsmith SS spokes, here's a good price on sapim spokes http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=170

Btw I don't race but I do ride the mountains... Search YouTube for motorcycle highway 9 to get an idea of the road...

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks Dave for the info. I have never heard of these brands before. I was also thinking about the Alex DX32 rims. Do you have any experance with them? Why did you decide to go with the Supra D rims? The TK Cuando looks like a nice hub. I was thinking about going with Lynn from Wisconsin's hubs and wheels. Now i have to think twice about it. Those parts listed there are really expensive, but they also look like quality. The Dam Good hub looks awsome, but sadly I dont have money to throw down for it.

I have to ask also, where is everyone getting the spokes from? Everywhere I look, they want more than a dollar for a spoke. I would imagine if you buy in buld the price would come down.
No I have never used the DX32. I went with the Supra D off recommendation of a friend.

Yes they are expensive, performance comes at a cost unfortunately.

For spokes I like DT Swiss, price ranges from $10-$25 per pack. So I can spend $20-$50 a wheel just on spokes. Or I stop by my buddy's bike shop (JJ Bicyles), he always has nice good brand spokes laying around. That way I can have him cut and thread them if I need to.

Last edited: