I need a new chain!

GoldenMotor.com

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I use a Big BMX chain a KMC 415 chain. It costs a bit more but it works much better than the stock chain that came with the kit.(its shinny coool!)

mike

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I bought a 41 chain from Tractor Supply and will never go back to the kit chain again, for my bikes

I set the tension, threw away the kit supplied tensioner and have had absolutely no stretch issues

Cost was about $20 for 10 feet

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ace hardware, Tractor Supply and Grainger, also other industrial suppliers carry #41 chain. It is interchangable and superior to the kit supplied #415 chain and used by most builders. It is usually sold in ten foot lengths, enough for one bike.
The kit chain has been a source of problems for some with twists and binding links. A good quality #41 chain will take care of that.
Tom

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Ace hardware, Tractor Supply and Grainger, also other industrial suppliers carry #41 chain. It is interchangable and superior to the kit supplied #415 chain and used by most builders. It is usually sold in ten foot lengths, enough for one bike.
The kit chain has been a source of problems for some with twists and binding links. A good quality #41 chain will take care of that.
Tom
BTY Tom is this the age or trickery part?
I totally agree with Tom, #41 chain works very well with mt sprocket on my back wheel. it is a kit sprocket. Grainger has some quality chain better than TSC sells but I don't know how much more costly it is. Probably the Chinese chain will serve you well if you keep it lubricated. I do not have to pay shipping with Grainger because I have Farm Bureau insurance and they have a deal with Grainger something like a company account. I can order a $2.00 part and they ship it free.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have KMC 415H on my latest build, it is very good chain, but like it was said here multiple times the #41 chain is the way many people here go, you could even go with #420 it is the same dimensions as #41 just much stronger, some of the kit cahin is better than others, I have 1 bike with the kit chain that looks as good as the KMC and it has 1,026 miles on it with not one single issue so far other than being a little stretched and needing some adjustment again.

TSC #41 is probably the cheapest and best bet for ya as long as the extra width doesnt make it rub the rear tire since it is a bit wider.

Last edited: