New old guy from Nova Scotia Canada

GoldenMotor.com

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I thought I posted here but I look and don`t see any post.
I tried to post picts but it did take at that time. Anyway, me:

55 yr old machinist, mechanic, and now a semi-retired desk pilot with a passion for 2 strokes and learning. I want some exercise, but not too much, so these bike look good. I am a confirmed biker, and after a long life with every make, I have fallen in love with KTM dirt bikes. The love of my life is this 2000 KTM 125 EXC.

If the 125 is fun, a 2003 KTM 300 EXC should be twice the fun right?

Well, it isn't. It is just plain scary. Not the studded tires for winter riding.

I had a Yamaha 660 Raptor and my son bought a Yamaha 200 Blaster. I loved it! Lightweight, nimble, cheap and easy to work on,but underpowered. I helped him get it from 17hp to nearly 40hp. I had to have my own. I drove a couple hours to pick up a good deal but it was a rip off with a badly busted motor. I negotiated the price down and bought it anyway. In went a 50hp KTM liquid cooled engine:

Been doing this sort of thing for many years, 1974 CR250, sleds, outboards, you name it, for over 40 years. So now I'm working on a Grubee skyhawk, as well as a few electric bikes. I don't have any pictures yet (transfer issue) but here are some generic pictures of the bikes I have engines in:

The spring is removed on this one and linkage fixed for now.

I also have some electrics.

Steve

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Steve,
Welcome, 'belatedly' but we're glad you've joined our ranks. I would guess with your experience that you've had little trouble motorizing bicycles. Feel free to share your experience and knowledge for those who might ask for or need it. Or, if you need any advice yourself simply ask. Lots of MB experience here to draw from and someone always ready and willing to help.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Steve,

Greetings from the other coast. I'm about 25 miles south of Vancouver. Glad you could join the forum.

My son is in Bolivia riding around South America on a Yamaha 250. He's talking KTM when replacement time comes.

Steve.

Last edited:

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I do like KTMs but I have enjoyed most of the other brands too.
These Chinese engines are pretty crude, but an excellent learning tool.
A head or cylinder can be changed in 5 minutes, the whole engine out in 15.
Parts are so cheap you can afford to experiment wildly.

My 660 Raptor and 300 KTM were eye openers.
Wildly powerful, but not as fun as the Blaster and 125 KTM.
Why?

They lost the human element. With the smaller machines, my skills were a big part of the equation. The larger machines ample power blast through hills and mud, you had to hold back on the power most of the time. Thec 125 you hold wide open and use your body and skill to get through. There is the challenge. I guess it is all about challenge. These Chinese engines are an interesting challenge. What can I do with it?

I've have my bicycle for a while now, went out and moved the 125 around.
First thing I notice is weight. Wow, I love the light weight of the bicycle. Also the noise, even though I run quiet mufflers. I like that I can shut the motor off and run silent, and often do.

Steve

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I have had some problems with my motor.
The clutch seized up in "disengaged" mode, hand lever went limp.

Tore the clutch assembly apart to find nothing wrong. Engine lever had no grease from the factory and had seized from mud and water. I learned a lot about the clutch and it only took a couple hours to carefully tear into it. The special puller that came with the motor barely fit the clutch. Had to file the threads to get it to fit.

Fuel mileage is still poor. Very poor. The smallest wire I could find leans the mainjet too much so mainjet is probably OK. Still running the NT carb with the needle dropped one notch. Runs well, tan plug, now needs choke to start. Fuel mileage is in the 10L/100km range, I am looking for 3L/100km. Gasket matching, longer intake, better air filter may help?

Steve

This is my other huge "hobby", Search and Rescue.
I am over on the right. From a training exercise a few nights ago.