Military looking at Motopeds

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very interesting. I'd like to know more specs on the bike. What engine? Horsepower? Transmission?

I'm not sure about pedaling it however. That could be an overly optimistic goal. Anyone who's ever tried to pedal one of our bikes for any distance would tell you, "it ain't fun".

As for stealth, I wonder if they've looked at electric bikes.

Thanks for sharing, Knightscape. Interesting article.

Tom

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I would imagine they'd give the military the 125cc version to play with, but not sure. I can't imagine riding a 49cc anywhere with bad guys. They mention it going 45mph, I doubt the 49cc does that. Looks like the "survival" version they are talking about has some kind of special muffler under it, I wonder how quiet it is. Granted, the military looks at a lot of toys they don't actually buy. I'm sure someone is going to say, "you can't actually pedal this thing to get anywhere".

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Looks like the 125cc version if they're wanting it to be capable of 45mph or better...
Hopefully somebody will develop a diesel version of the Honda horizontal clone engines that would make it much more appealing to the military, not to mention the torque output would be really nice.
I remember a few years back a company made up a fleet of dirt bikes based on the kawasaki klr650 but equipped with a diesel engine that put out 30hp... I remember reading about these and watching a few videos of the bikes in action and wanting one of those bikes pretty bad until they announced they were only building these for the military and would need be selling them to the public.