springer fork

GoldenMotor.com

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
I ride a cruser bike and use it for riding to work and doing the odd and end jobs we all have to do, But I was thinking of adding a springer fork to the frt to smooth out my ride a little more I need suggestions on type or brand to get as I put a lot of miles on my bike and I need something that will last.

Cookie

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
on the flea bay you can get telescopic forks or around $10.00 to $15.00. The big rub is you need access to and oxy, acetylene torch and a lathe and you can convert almost any fork to fit your bike.
Norman .weld

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
That is the rub. on the motokruser site yrs ago they had a guy that made his own heave duity fork for moto bikes.
Cookie

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Cookie,

There is a company called "Pyrimid" who makes the single spring (girder) front fork
in 26" as a bolt on. It's a straight replacemen and they supply them in chrome or paintable
black if you wish to paint them to match your bike. (those forks which use multiple springs are called "springers" from what I've leaned here)

I've seen them on fleabay for $40+ up to $70 so ya gotta shop around. (pay attention to
bottom line cost there.....item + shipping = total, as some offer free shipping with "buy it now"
which may be a competitive price.)

And of course, always keep moving parts lubed properly, and inspect for signs of stress cracks
or unusual wear. Riding a bike with a motor for longer durations may stress it more than what the
manufacturer anticipated when they chose the materials to build it with. In Ohio where I live the
speed limit on motorized bikes is 20 mph.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Question:
Are most bikes standard sizes as far as the front fork attachment goes? In other words are bearing, shaft length, etc compatible. I would think you would be limited to a fork that is exactly the same in terms of the measurements listed above unless you want to get into some machine work. That's not an issue; I can run a lathe, Bridgeport, etc and I can weld but if going to a springer front can be a bolt on it would be more attractive. I'm getting lazy in my old age.
Tom

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Steerer tubes on forks are head tube length specific to a degree. The early cantilever frame bikes didn't come in a large range of sizes so that ht length was pretty consistent throughout the different manufacturers. They were all 1" however but there were some odd ball sizes in regards to head sets thrown in there of course.

These days with the large range of sizes available for modern bikes the headtube lengths are all over the map. Pretty much all are 1 1/8" now also. And most are also what they call threadless and the older ones are threaded.

So if you are trying to adapt one of the repro forks on an older style frame you should be ok with a minimum amount of fuss. But if you are looking to adapt to a more modern frame there could be issues.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Steerer tubes on forks are head tube length specific to a degree. The early cantilever frame bikes didn't come in a large range of sizes so that ht length was pretty consistent throughout the different manufacturers. They were all 1" however but there were some odd ball sizes in regards to head sets thrown in there of course.

These days with the large range of sizes available for modern bikes the headtube lengths are all over the map. Pretty much all are 1 1/8" now also. And most are also what they call threadless and the older ones are threaded.

So if you are trying to adapt one of the repro forks on an older style frame you should be ok with a minimum amount of fuss. But if you are looking to adapt to a more modern frame there could be issues.
Thanks Mab,
I heading over to the bike store now and I'll be armed with my bike's measurements. I'd really like a little spring to the front end. When I get home from a long ride my arms ache from the pounding from my rigid suspension. Vibes aren't bad, hardly there at all it's just the bumps that take their toll. I'll let you know what I find.
Tom

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Yeah but they will ask you what headset you are using also as that effects the steerer length also, they call it stack height. If you want to post a close up photo of what that area looks like on the bike you have I could better see what you are up to?

And I run one of these on my bike as it does help to cut the chatter. Running as fat a tire as possible in the front as low a pressure as feasible helps as much as anything. BikePro.com / Buyer's Guide / Girvin Stems - Bicycle Parts at discount prices / the Buyer's Guide / Bicycle Parts at their finest! / Professional Bicycle Source / Bike Pro

Last edited:

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I have the single spring girder fork pictured above and it works great on my bike. Just buy the longest head tube available and cut it down. That's what I did. All you need is a hacksaw or Sawzall and metal blade.

Attachments

Last edited:

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I am using the fork eDJ showed in his post and so far it is holding up. The fork post is extra long and must be hacksawed off to match bike, but that is not hard for anyone with a hack saw. You got to keep an eye on the bolts and keep them tight but not over tight. 700mi and working great and a good price. Went to the bike shop and the old schwinn type was as much as a monarch so get a monarch if you are going to spend the money, best looking forks I have seen yet. But these springers of mine and my spring seat make riding smooth sailing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I made the circuit of every local bike store I know about in Denver yesterday and not one of them carry springer forks. They all said they could order them, but I can do that. Guess it's off to Ebay. Now if I was looking for spandex, the stores had racks full. Guess riding comfort isn't as important as looking good when you ride. So dumb... and what's with all the sponsor names? Do those people not realize that by wearing all that stuff they're giving FREE advertizing to those companys? Good grief!
Tom

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Yep We would have to take off the dealers licence plate frames and decals when a customer would refuse to buy a car and advertize when I worked in the body shop. We are a consumer nation. Another reason I like these bikes, we are not spending money buying all the leather goods just to ride. If a bunch of MBers were to have a group picture it would be so varied but look at a motor cycle ralley, all black, and matching. True freedom is being your self and even if you look silly (and I do most of the time).

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Hey HoughMade, What a beautiful machine you created!! I would bet that you
spent at least 7 hours building that beauty!!
Fred
It looks like 7 years. Such a well planed and executed build. Inspired me to put a leaf spring on my build. Classic

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
If that thing is a Japanese repro like I have, it is flimsy through the horizontal pivot. I just hope my real one will cure the problem.