Tcams unfortunate event

GoldenMotor.com

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Well After waiting a while to get my bike running with Jims new engine mount and sprocket adapter I finally got my bike running really good after a few fixable problems.

A few days ago I was comming back from a ride around town and my chain popped off out of no where.
. When I got home and inspected my bike I had noticed that one of the screws that holds my sprocket to the clamp was gone. Also I had lost a screw that holds the front clamp of Jims mount to the downtube. The threads in the adapter are pretty stripped so I dont think I will be able to use the adapter and what not.

Also when the screw came loose that holds the sprocket it took some of my derailer with it. its not that bad but I just dont know how long until its gonna crack.

I dont know what to do at this point. Should I get a new bike and start fresh?

Hey Jim (creative Engineering) If I were to get a new frame could I send the clamps from my mount back to you and could you give me new clamps that will fit the new bike?

Thanks

Tcams

Attachments

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
Sorry to see you had a bad day but that stuff needs to be checked every time prior to flight. Never just hop on and go your life depends on the PRE TRIP.

Adam

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I check my bike before every flight. I should of used locktite on all screws. It was the vibrations after a long ride that loosened the bolts.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I would talk to someone that can do drilling and tap-ing that can hold the parts ,and I believe we survive on loc-tite and checking bolts for tight,,,,,,,,,I know I've gotten lazy driving newer cars ,not like the old ones that got looked after often

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That adapter just needs to be drilled /tapped and then put a Heli coil in it and you will be good to go with it, and as was said by others.... Loc-Tite is a must on these bikes, I learned that the hard way as well, lost engine mounting studs and other bolts, these things have just the right kind and amount of viberation to knock all kinds of thing loose. good luck with your ride hope you can get it all fixed back up.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Got over 150 miles on my adapter and nothing's ever come loose. Took it off last week to go though the bearings on my rear wheel and it was just as tight as when I installed it.
The trick is don't just use the allen wrench to tighten the bolts. I stuck a deep well socket that fit over the wrench on a 12" extension and used it as a "cheater bar" to torque down all the bolts.

The adapter doesn't look that bad, you should be able to just use a tap to clean up the threads.

This brings up a good point, you should always listen to your bike. If you hear something new or out of the ordinary stop and check things out.

Last edited:

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
Thats a bummer Tcams, hope everything works out for you, its definitely fixable so don't give up on such a sick ride, good luck man. Ive been crazy busy and not much time on the forum but hopefully we can take a ride soon!! maybe a night ride down town.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Im gonna see if USA bike motors can fix up my sprocket adapter, They have all kinds of tools.

What should I do about my frame, Is there any kind of liquid cement or something that will make it stronger? That scares me

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Best thing to do is (no joke) file or sand the area that's scarred smooth, paint it then keep a close eye on it. With it being painted any crack that starts to develop will be easy to spot. That's a pretty strong spot on the frame since the dropout extends into the chain stay tube so I doubt anything will happen to it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
those three sprocket bolts are the only part on my bike i use loctite on. i was doing about 40 and had a bolt back out on me and catch my coaster brake arm, locking my wheel and sending me into a 100' skid.

luckily it didn't do any other damage and i was able to limp the bike home.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i just turned off of a heavy traffic road, where i was riding in the lanes with the cars onto a bike path when it happened.

a few minutes earlier, and there woulda been a a few bloody skidmarks from the cars behind me...

yeah, it was sketchy.

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Tcams,

If you can't get your adapter repaired. I will send you a new adapter with the necessary hardware to get you back up and running. Its a rare issue and I will help you out if need be. Not sure if Jim has any CB- 110's in stock.

Let me know how you made out at USA Bikemotors.

You should use blue loctite on your sprocket bolts. First tighten the adapter really good then tighten the sprocket as tight as you can by hand. After that put a cheater bar over the allen wrench and give it a little more. Don't worry the sprocket bolts won't strip from over tightening them.

Always keep your eyes and ears open. Things usually make a funny noises before they go haywire.

Justin

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Hey Justin..Just got back from USA bike motors and they fixed my sprocket. They just rethreaded everything and the bolts go in smooth again.

I still need 2 screws that hold the sprocket to the adapter.

Thanks Justin.