Chain tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Dirt bikes ,at least higher cc ones ,run heaver chains,so I think it is worth a try

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I think I'm gonna try it, worst thing that could happen is i'd be out 20 bucks. Looks like it could be bolted to the stay or a bracket could be fabricated to hold it in place We'll see....

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I guess I'm gonna buy a welder and learn how to weld too while i'm at it, seems like we can't continue to build quality bikes without having to use this skill sooner or later.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
You know these are available at the TSC, right. Just bolt it up to the original kit bracket. I am by no means saying to not experiment or come up with a better one. That could be a profitable venture. Just sayin' they are out there and commonly used already.

You are going to have a blast welding! Lots of doors open up when you can weld something at the house.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I will shoot over to columbus this weekend and check out TSC. If they have it there I'm sure it'll be cheaper than buying it on the internet. I am pretty sure I can make it work somehow.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I've got 2 TSC stores near me. Both of them normally have these in stock. They are usually stocked on the same isle with trailer lights, towing stuff, and a small area for go carts and atv stuff. I have never seen them near the chain and sprockets. Go figure!

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I am using something else you guys may not know about. It is expensive but a great solution. If you are using a mountain bike this will work for you. There is a company named "White Industries" that makes a rear hub called the "eno". It is an eccentric hub designed for verticle drop outs. When you rotate the hub it moves back and forth like a cam. when you get the desired chain tension you tighten the bolts and it stays like that. You can see it at their website if you google white industries. It costs about 150 dollars but it and the bearings are heavy duty. It's originally designed to convert a mountain bike to a single speed and eliminate the need for a chain tinsioner that you would normally need when you remove the rear derailer.

Here is the link. I bought the one designed to work with disk brakes and mounted the top hatter and sprocket from Kings Sales. This makes an awesome setup!

http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
civilized can you post a picture of how you mounted it please? Thanks bro.
Not the best pic, but the fastest I could get. I used the standard kit bracket. Drilled out a hole just a little in the slide and added my own bolt and lock nut. The spring can make it a little tricky to get on, but after you cuss a little it's done.

Attachments

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
I have bought that exact set-up, the side plate metal is very thin and twists , also the wheel itself has no bearings so it doesnt work to well. I still buy them cause i build alot of stretch cruisers and they work well for a pedal side tensioner to clear the motor.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I have bought that exact set-up, the side plate metal is very thin and twists , also the wheel itself has no bearings so it doesnt work to well. I still buy them cause i build alot of stretch cruisers and they work well for a pedal side tensioner to clear the motor.
The wheels in all that I have bought do have bearings. I'm using an ATV engine and have had no problems with twisting. Are you talking about the bracket or the arm on the roller?

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
The wheels in all that I have bought do have bearings. I'm using an ATV engine and have had no problems with twisting. Are you talking about the bracket or the arm on the roller?
the bracket itself wanted to twist making the chain come in at a slight angle.
the unit in that photo doesnt have bearings , neither did mine.
if they now have them with bearings it may work well

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
the bracket itself wanted to twist making the chain come in at a slight angle.
the unit in that photo doesnt have bearings , neither did mine.
if they now have them with bearings it may work well
Gotcha about the bracket. The wheel in that picture does in deed have a bearing. If you click the larger view image, you can clearly see it and the snap ring holding it in.

Last edited: