Newest jaguar cdi ...kill switch question. Help please

GoldenMotor.com

Wags

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
I've looked at all the schematics for the new Jaguar CDI and coil and don't see anything to do with a kill switch. I understand how to wire for a stock CDI and kill switch but my question is, on the new Jaguar CDI and coil combo do I wire my kill switch in before the CDI or in between the CDI and coil? I don't want to lose power in any form or fashion. My other concern was I don't want to short out the cdi.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I don't have a Jaguar but I'm sure it's ok to wire it the same as the stock CDI. Just connect the Jag in its place. Then it won't be grounding the CDI output, just the juice from the magneto.

Wags

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
Thank you for the input. I'm my mind I will be shorting the power and the ground that feed the cdi. I'm wondering if it might be better to wire it only to the power side wich would open that circuit and cut the flow without grounding anything.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
It's ok to ground out the magneto. That's how they all are. The CDI sees this as a loss of power, no harm at all. It may be worse for it to be opened, leaving high potentials building in the magneto coil with nowhere to go.

I just idle it down and let the clutch out to kill it. It doesn't take much drag at idle to stop.
My engine idles slow, though.

Last edited:

Wags

Aug 4, 2016
Michigan
I guess I could just use the choke to kill it and leave the kill switch as strictly emergency. Your right though that is how they all are. It would be silly for that change without some kind of warning. And there is now warning. Thank you for your time.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Don't mention it. Hey, if you have to ground something out, the magneto coils are about 10 bucks the jaguar ignition ? ??
Think of it that way.
I don't choke it but I can see that would work, but it does waste a squirt of gas.