I'm new and ignorant, but I know what I want!

GoldenMotor.com

chewy

Jan 30, 2010
North Idaho
OK, so I'm walkin' down the road this week and this guy comes zippin' past me on an old rat rod lookin' cruiser bike with a tiny little put-put engine mounted to it. Obviously I thought it was pretty cool. So I come home and start lookin' on the internet about bicycle engine kits. Then I start lookin' at pictures of bikes with the engines installed. And I come across the photo in this link: https://www.bicycle-engines.com/bikes/details.php?image_id=11 I WANT THIS BIKE! I simply must have it. It's like a cafe racer version of a bicycle. I can't afford a cool cafe racer motorcycle, but I might be able to afford a bike like this. Problem is, I know very little about bikes and even less about engine kits for them. I know what kind of frame the bike has. I know (generally) what kind of exhaust it has. But the engine kit, the tires, and the front triple tree forks, I don't know. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction to make this bike a reality for me? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hey chewy, welcome to the addiction lol and the forum too ;)

The engine kit appears to be the typical 2 stroke one offered by any of the dealers who's ads flank both sides of this page, they're usually about $150 for a complete kit. I'd recommend a vendor known for excellent customer service & participation here on the forum in case you run into any problems. While tire choices are nearly infinite (I'd actually recommend checkin' out yer local bike shop for 'em), triple tree forks are slightly more difficult to find - lookin' at that pic, I almost wonder if the builder modified a regular set to get the look... but I dunno for sure - I do know that someone w/a set will prolly chime in with a suggestion. The exhaust/expansion chamber looks custom - but something similar can be found here: SCSW tuned pipes and even the Sick Bike Parts pipe can be mounted in that configuration.

Other than that - it's a straightforward build and despite your claim of inexperience these bikes are really pretty simple, you shouldn't have any problems and even if you do - we're here to help ya :D

Last edited:

chewy

Jan 30, 2010
North Idaho
Hey, thanks for the reply. And, thanks for the links to the exhaust pipes. I've tracked down the forks. They are marzocchi bomber triple crown forks. Triple crown forks in general seem to be used for serious heavy-duty off-road cycling. They are also not cheap, ranging from $350 - $1400. Wow, way to expensive for me. And also very much overkill for the application. the problem is, the triple crown fork provides just the right look I'm goin' for. There is, what appears to be an entry level triple crown fork made by marzocchi called the "junior t". Not quite as cool looking, but appears to sell new for around $250. Doesn't look like they have made it for a cpouple years though. If anyone out there has a set of triple crown forks (of any brand), I'm interested in seeing pictures and hearing prices. Yeah, I figured I could just take the pic to a local bike shop and get some tires very similar. Anyone know what I should expect to spend on tires like those? Also, since I'm brand new, is there one of the dealers on this page, anyone can recommend to me to call first? One last question. The fuel tank on the bike in the link looks larger than most I've seen does that appear to be the case or does it look like a standard size? Thanks for all the help guys!

chewy

Jan 30, 2010
North Idaho
Thanks very much for the info. and the link. The forks on the pictured bike are heavy duty bomber forks but the simple (and more importantly less expensive) triple tree forks you linked me to might be just the thing I'm after - thank you very much. Anyone got a link to oversized gas tanks?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to thr forum. You're not ignorant if you want to learn.
Your pic looks like a board track racer, so check out that forum on this site.