Thats Dax F80 Premium Engine Kit - Is it worth it?

GoldenMotor.com

SoapFlakes

Apr 26, 2011
California
Here's a question for everyone, is the F80 Premium Super Duty Engine Kit that you can find on thatsdax.com really worth the extra cost?

I mean, I can find a Skyhawk kit for like 150-170 and the F80 Premium kit is a whopping $259. I would be willing to pay the extra money for the F80 if there was a noticeable difference in quality. Has anyone purchased this kit and is willing to share their incites?

Thanks.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I didnt know he was selling motors that big, I checked and I guess so. Worth almost 300 with shipping...???

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I Dont know, I have never done business with Dax, or have any expierience with his products !

I do know Thats alot for a china kit.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Dax is one of the best when it comes to customer service. He stands by his products and goes out of his way to help his customers. If you have questions about his products, just email them and I guarantee you'll get a prompt reply. Don't be afraid to ask him the same question directly. I'm confident his answer will satisfy you.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
That kit looks no different that the BGF kit I got for $135 shipped except for the chrome tank. I sorry, I can't see what you would be paying a premium for. If there was a 6 month guarantee then, maybe. He specializes in 4 stroke rack kits looks to me. At $259 he could pay full normal retail and still make a good profit.

There is only one really different HT type motor and that's the Grubee Super Rat. It would be the only other motor kit I'd consider besides a generic eBay kit. The rest is hype and decals :p

SoapFlakes

Apr 26, 2011
California
Dax is one of the best when it comes to customer service. He stands by his products and goes out of his way to help his customers. If you have questions about his products, just email them and I guarantee you'll get a prompt reply. Don't be afraid to ask him the same question directly. I'm confident his answer will satisfy you.
I did, actually, and his answer was a bit "beat-around-the-bush" ish.

Really, the only justification was that, it was "not only the best F80 series engine", "from a company that has been in business for over 20 years" and "90 day warranty". It was barely even a paragraph long.

Edit: I replied and asked him if he can tell me any more about the engine, where it is made, that kind of stuff. Anything to justify its price.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Here's a question for everyone, is the F80 Premium Super Duty Engine Kit that you can find on thatsdax.com really worth the extra cost?

I mean, I can find a Skyhawk kit for like 150-170 and the F80 Premium kit is a whopping $259. I would be willing to pay the extra money for the F80 if there was a noticeable difference in quality. Has anyone purchased this kit and is willing to share their incites?

Thanks.
That dax Engine kit was selling for under $200 recently including shipping.
except it did not have the "Super Duty" in the title.
It is $19 shipping according to the text.

All the prices of the kits have or are going up as it is harder to
get them into the US now.

F80 is deceptive as it's a claimed 69 cc so you might call it a 70 cc
Most of the Chinese motors are 66 cc so I would be interested to
know the bore and stroke of the dax F80

I do notice that the sprocket is not dished which may make it harder to
install on fat cruiser tires. Not a lot of info about the kit.

If you can get a SkyHawk for $170 go for it.....they are about the same.
who is selling a SkyHawk for $170?

Last edited:

SoapFlakes

Apr 26, 2011
California
That dax Engine kit was selling for under $200 recently including shipping.
except it did not have the "Super Duty" in the title.
It is $19 shipping according to the text.
All the prices of the kits have or are going up as it is harder to
get them into the US now.
F80 is deceptive as it's a claimed 69 cc so you might call it a 70 cc
Most of the Chinese motors are 66 cc so I would be interested to
know the bore and stroke of the dax F80
I do notice that the sprocket is not dished which may make it harder to
install on fat cruiser tires. Not a lot of info about the kit.
If you can get a SkyHawk for $170 go for it.....they are about the same.
who is selling a SkyHawk for $170?
Was it on Dax's website for less than $200? If it was, I'll keep my eye out for a deal.

Yeah, most 2 strokes are like that, they claim 80 but are really a 68, I think that is just to be expected! :D

Bikeberry is currently selling a SkyHawk for 180. I'm sure that isn't the best deal out there, but I have to limit my search to dealers that ship to California.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Bikeberry is currently selling a SkyHawk for 180. I'm sure that isn't the best deal out there, but I have to limit my search to dealers that ship to California.
I don't think Bikeberry ships engine kits to CA, just parts.

Where in CA are you located?

Yeah, most 2 strokes are like that, they claim 80 but are really a 68, I think that is just to be expected! :D
Not 68 cc or 69 cc they are mostly 66 cc

If you know the the bore and stroke it's easy to figure out.

China bike engine factories have always advertised their biggest engine as 80cc. However, the bore and stroke of an 80cc being 47x38mm only equals 66cc. Therefore there is no such thing as an 80cc bike motor and it truly does not exist. This is the biggest motor available.
I don't expect or like it when sellers lie to me ....

Last edited:

SoapFlakes

Apr 26, 2011
California
I don't think Bikeberry ships engine kits to CA, just parts.
Where in CA are you located?
I'm in the Bay Area. As far as I knew, Bikyberry does ship to California, how can I confirm who ships engines to California?

Edit: you are right, they do not ship engines to California. Damn.

Last edited:

cabbiex5

Feb 12, 2009
Michigan
I bought the F80 Dax engine almost 3 years ago. I paid half that for it. And IT IS the BIGGEST engine they make. It is 80cc. I took it apart and had it measured. Its amazing!! But why is it $300?? no idea.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
laff80 cc..... Any dealer will tell you they are not 80 cc. Dax will tell you that. Good luck with whichever kit you deceide on.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Piratecycles.kom has the Grubee GT4 Starfire engine kits on sale for $150.00 Grubee Starfire Gt4

Here's another kit for $129.95 I checked the shipping cost and to Central Texas where I am it's just $29.00 Fedex Ground, 80cc Silver Slant Bicycle Engine Kit

I dont own the " RAW " kit but I have heard other speak highly of there kits, I personally have BGF kits and have had very good luck with them, some need mor tweaking than others but in my opinion, all of these engines are a crap shoot no matter what sticker someone puts on them, ytou can get a better than average engine or you can get a not so good one that will need more smoothing up internally for it to perform well.

I think a lot of Thats Dax and have made multiple orders from him and I am a very happy customer of his but personally there is no way I would pay $300 for a china girl kit no matter what the claims are, there's not a dimes worth of difference in any of them IMO, I know some will argue different and make high powered claims on curtain "brands" but for even these claims there are other out there who have got a piece of crap with that same sticker on it, so I say shop based on what you can afford if you can pay a little more because you want better customer service, then that option is there, or if you just want to get out as cheap as possible and you plan & are able to resolve any engine issue on your own, then go with a RAW or a BGF kit and you'll likely have just as good of engine as the higher priced "BRANDS", some come with extra parts and gaskets and stuff like that, but in my experience of looking around at all the kits, most all of them come with the very undesirable 44T sprocket IMO, and you can get a kit with a 41T or 36T sprocket from BGF cheaper and have a faster set up when it's all said and done, and BGF has always answered my email very quick, but he doesnt offer a great warrantee so there is a risk in that area, but as cheap as parts are from him and others I dont care about that, I'll take that chance and so far I've had zero issues with his kits, my 39MPH bike has a 66cc Slant BIG MOUNT BGF engine and is a nice cruiser @ 30-32MPH with a 36T sprocket.

Just go with your own gut on it but DONT over pay, ther eis NO advantage to spending more money for the same crudely made china built engine.

Peace

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've never had a Raw motor, but i've seen a few of them self destruct.

the only way i'd pay 300 for a china is if someone blueprinted it, tuned it, and modified it.

wait... i do all that myself.

anyone wanna buy a $300 bairdco motor?

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
anyone wanna buy a $300 bairdco motor?

If you can promise me it will start like a Yamaha so my 67 year old dad wil lbe able to pedal start it easy..then sure.

I'm 36 and winded trying to get my SD stinger running today.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I love my Raw motor - my last one was a 66 and my current one is a 48. I haven't had any issues with them (that weren't my fault). I haven't seen any retailers for them since they started selling them themselves (they used to only do wholesale). I saw a couple sites that sell their electric bikes, and a couple others that sell them only in bulk (places that used to retail for them, but now are just getting rid of surplus Raw inventory and sell Grubees).

One thing I like is they have a reasonable warranty - 6 months covering motor itself (excluding improper gas/oil mixes). A lot of retailers have very limited warranties - to the point if you put gas in it you just voided it.

But, it's true - they're china built aluminum motors, it's all going to be relatively the same thing. Small upgrades in accessories, design, and hardware as the years progress, but never anything drastic. They're not v-twins - but they're also less than 150 bucks.