muffler wont fit

GoldenMotor.com

masterx1234

May 7, 2009
grayson Kentucky
will i tear up my engine if the muffler is only fitting half way over the engine, its because the bike frame is in the way and i cant bend it, will i be ok riding it for a little while?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
You need the muffler in place or you will toast the engine. If you have a vise and a propane torch you can bend the pipe. Clamp the pipe in the vise, heat a spot until it glows red and apply force to move it in the direction you want. Good luck!

.weld

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
They can be be bent cold too and if your muffler is chromed that's probably the best way so as not to damage the plating. I've used wood in the vise jaws to protect the chrome, clamp the flange in the vise and use the muffler as a lever to get a slight bend to clear whatever obstruction you have that's keeping the pipe from mating with the cylinder correctly. Hope Finfan's and my suggestions help. Good luck, ride careful.
Tom

Earthman

Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
My exhaust pipe is painted black and I had to bend it. I have a good propane torch, but it didn’t put out enough heat to get the pipe hot enough. I had to use an oxyacetylene setup with a broad, hot flame similar to what I use for brazing to bend it. Either torch got hot enough to burn the paint off the pipe, so I had to repaint with high temp paint.

I tried to bend the pipe cold first, but couldn’t get enough leverage on it. I might have been able to if I made a jig so I could clamped a length of 2x4 to it, but the torch was handier.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
thats why when i mounted my engine i made sure the muffler fit in that position.
my sparkplug and airfilter didnt fit,but thats why i got my powertools out and operated on the bike frame to make it fit.