Tickler air leak?

GoldenMotor.com

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
Grubee GT-4, NT carb, 2k on motor. Removed motor from bike#1 07/2009. Was running strong. Finally installed on Jaguar. Motor starts easily but eratic idle down.
Choke at idle will not kill motor. No problem before.
Both ends of manifold tight. Spray the top of carb and it will die. OK, so I seal that up. Still not right.
Coming home 2.5 miles and exhaust went cherry red.
So I start spraying things again including cylinder base, etc.
Choke on, motor running, spray the tickler and it dies! Spray fluid was probably running down to tickler.
Repeated several times to confirm it's the tickler.
What the?

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
The carb will still work cause theres also a vent hole behind the choke plate in the filter plastic housing..
Some people removed there primer button and some carbs dont come with the button at all.

But i dont believe its the tickler in the first place,i would guess he needs to reseal the intake and carb with silicone and tighten the clamp better.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Choke at idle and running ,it has to be drawing air in somewhere else,or the jet loose?

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Choke won't kill motor, leak has to be between your choke and your cylinder. Doesn't seem it'd be that hard to find. Do you have an inline filter on your gas line? That or the screen inside your tank on the petcock could be clogged.

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
Intake is sealed well and no change when spraying that area. Always an inline filter. Time to dismantle carb for a better look. Cracks, loose jet, etc.
To seal tickler, just seal up under lip of plunger cap? Or somehow remove unit? Never use it anyway.
Will report findings.

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
Fixed. The only thing I had changed since running it last was the muffler. Had a fancy chrome cat type laying around. The one with the heat shield and that can be dismantled.
Reinstalled the original black one that came with the GT4 and bike runs great. Has been my fastest and quietest motor so far.
The chrome one is incredibly restictive, and I quess the coil glows red attempting to incinerate unburnt fuel. A cat that just heats metal instead of a substance. I like the low tech. With a little thought the it can be modded for increased performance.
Used the chromy because the mounting flange is heavy duty. The Grubee flange is thin and can easily leak. So I used the stock muffler mount to tighten things up.
Thanks to all for the ideas.