AMF Roadmaster

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Getting a AMF Roadmaster frame today and I am thinking of motorizing it.

Here is an example, but I want to put it under the tube.

Using the rear wheel and forks from this.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Interesting. Should be a cool bike when you're done. Are you going to go with a rear mount tank? It looks like the one in your example is never going to be able to use more than half a tank of juice no matter what happens due to the angle it's mounted at.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Interesting. Should be a cool bike when you're done. Are you going to go with a rear mount tank? It looks like the one in your example is never going to be able to use more than half a tank of juice no matter what happens due to the angle it's mounted at.
I was thinking of mounting a tank on the down tube like on many mopeds.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Was that bike originally motorized from the factory? If so and there is a legible Serial no on the frame, you may be able to tag and insure it.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Ok, so I start removing parts from the Schwinn StingRay to test fit them on the AMF frame and at first I think the steer / head tube was going to be the wrong size. Well the only issue I have with it is the length.

You don't see no pink handle bars there, they are not the handle bars you looking for.

I then notice that the seat post is almost the same diameter as the seat tube on the frame, this is just crazy insane.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I was thinking of mounting a tank on the down tube like on many mopeds.
Looks good in the mock-up pics, it's definately going to be a nice bike when you're done. I wondered because it looks like there's plenty of room under that rear rack to sling a tank, and maybe a battery box for lights too.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Alright I got the Mad Scientist tools out and started a hacking and grinding away the parts that don't fit.

So here is what popped out of the cutting, hacking and grinding....

Then I had to see what seat might look good on it., still pondering that question.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Did some welding today and another Mock up of the bike...

I also switched out the bearing cups for the Head Tube with the ones from the Schwinn. The shocking fact is the AMF head tube is for a 1 1/8" setup and was built back in the 70's like this.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Here is the 3rd Mock up of the bike.

I thought I would see what it would look like with a 20" wheel on the front also. Yes that is a set of forks from a Beast.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I am still thinking about the 20" wheel, but not totally hooked on it.

I had to cut and weld the steer tube because it was a little over an inch to long. I use a part of a 1" steer tube to slide the two halves together on and to keep it straight.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Draco,
I just saw your thread and am glad to see that someone else saw possibilities in the AMF Raodmaster frame.

Here's what I did with one a couple of summers ago.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32625

Mine uses a Tomos A35 engine hung under the frame. I haven't done much with it since this thread and it is still sitting on the back burner awaiting attention. A couple of changes since the last post in my thread is that I made up extensions for the rear dropout so that I can use bigger wheels and set the axle back a bit. I had some old light motorcycles given to me by a friend in various states of rusty not all there and am using a set of drum brake hubs for the front and rear. I don't know yet whether I will go with 24" or 26" wheels, but now have the hubs anyway. I recently bought some 26" X 2.4" Cyclops tires for another build that I can easily picture on this AMF. On the other hand 24" X 3" tires would be killer.

The frame lends itself to lots of possibilities. If I had the funds and was doing another one I'd consider the Honda clone that is 50CC, has built in pedals and a built in multi speed transmission, five speeds if I remember right... hang it under that frame and go!

Carry on, sir!
SB

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I just saw one of these for sale on craigslist with the original motor for $75. I should have bought it, but I've got too much stuff in the garage and lack funds. They were a weird little moped.