First build: Genesis Onyx 29" cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Thought I'd chronicle my first build and hopefully get some good feedback / advice to help me along. This is my first build, first cruiser I've ever owned, my first bike with coaster brakes and first under $500 bike I've bought (as an adult).

I received and assembled the bike yesterday and overall I think it's a decent bike and some things that I like include:

1. I like the looks of the bike, it's huge so it fits me fairly well (I'm 6'5" / 240lbs).

2. I like the huge frame and beefy overall look.

3. The ride seems fairly comfortable.

4. The price (currently $129 on line) is pretty hard to beat.

But there are some things I don't like and hope to fix / change:

1. I hate coaster brakes, so will at the very least add a front caliper (and hopefully rear as well).

2. The white chain and silver trimmed chain guard are ugly IMO so those will likely change.

3. The ride feels like I'm 6" too far forward, so I hope to add a layback seat post.

4. The goofy stickers on the rims had to go.

Some of the challenges I see for this build:

1. The aluminum frame means I'll have to reinforce the mounts. I'll probably buy some pieces of electrical conduit for this.

2. The oversized frame tubes mean that I'll have to buy / fabricate custom mounts.

3. The wheels are 48 spokes which means I'll have to be creative for the rear sprocket installation. I'll probably try a rag joint first, and then graduate to a better joint if that doesn't work out.

4. I'm not going to be able to use the stock sprocket, grips, or throttle that typically come with a kit as they won't fit this bike. I'm hoping one of the vendors will allow me to "swap out" some of the pieces rather than buy everything individually.

5. I'd rather use a more reliable motor but budget constraints may end up limiting my choices. Hopefully a used Morini 50cc magically appears on my doorstep some day soon. ;)

The photos below show the assembled bike (sans fenders and stickers I could take off), the front fork where I think a caliper brake should mount easily, the dreaded coaster hub with ugly white chain, and the odd sized 1" diameter handlebar that tapers to 7/8" for the grip.

Attachments

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Ok, step one is to add a front caliper brake. I'm thinking these might work but I'm not sure: Odyssey 1999 Brake Kit by ODYSSEY

The tires are 2.125" wide and the rim is 1" wide where the brake pads will touch them. I can't tell from the photo if the pads will be able to reach 0.526" to grab the rim while clearing the tires. Anyone have any idea what is typical for BMX brakes?

I'm also guessing that the brake lever is designed for a 7/8" handlebar, so I may have to leave the tapered handlebar as is. Any other ideas?

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
those will fir ove r a 2.125 comp III ....thats is a meaty tire....should fit no problem....but since i last posted about the brakes...i found something better....performance bikes sells v-brake's for el cheapo...i just put a full set on cables and all...for 45$....currently on my build and im diggin em....same place i sent you a link to before...dans comp has the plates for 25 i think....a little more expensive but 2x the stopping power

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
@steampunk - How do you mount the adapter plates for the v-brakes? The reason I'm thinking of using calipers as they look like they will fit the existing holes that are there for the fenders. Could you post the link again, I can't seem to find it? Thanks! :)

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
i actually have the plate bolted up to my boardie build right now......it has a top center hole...yes that hole in the fork will work....it secures on the bottom via hoseclamps...

caliper brakes...

DAN'S COMP - Bmx Bikes, Bmx Parts, Bmx Clothing, Bmx Shoes and Bmx Accessories!

vbrake plate

V-Brake Plate by MISC

v-brakes

Forté Team V-Brakes - Bike Brakes

levers....you need v-levers to work with v-brakes otherwise they work like crap and feel like sponges

Forté Team Brake Levers - Bike Brakes

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That looks like it will be a very nice MB! I would advise that you get some heavy duty wheels that have 36 spokes (12 gage). They will not only be safer, but they will give you some better options for a billet rear sprocket & hub adapter.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
...it secures on the bottom via hoseclamps...
Don't hose clamps make it look kind of ugly? If you used them, could you post a photo?

I would advise that you get some heavy duty wheels that have 36 spokes (12 gage).
Right, if I had the money that's exactly what I'd do. Unfortunately, a set of 29" wheels with heavy duty spokes will cost more than my entire budget. If I find a nice Morini motor for cheap, then I might just wait until I can afford a set of wheels. Otherwise, if I end up using a chinese engine I will probably just keep the stock wheels. Might not make sense to some, but I can't see spending too much money on this project until I've at least gotten a few miles on the bike.

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
the hose clamps are kinda funky....im sure a more aesthetically pleasing band type clamp could be used...reg clamps come with it.....its just so that the plate dosent move back and forth or get bent outwards....the small slots down by the post is where they go....camera is on the fritz......

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
That looks like it will be a very nice MB! I would advise that you get some heavy duty wheels that have 36 spokes (12 gage). They will not only be safer, but they will give you some better options for a billet rear sprocket & hub adapter.
i havent seen these wheels in 29".... but the adapter may work with the current hub on the bike...take a measurement to make sure though...just an idea....

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
@steampunk - I'm still inclined to just go with side pull caliper brakes. Most of my previous bikes all had calipers so I have had good experience with them. If there were a better way to mount a center pull brake, I would consider it and in any event, I can always swap them later if the calipers don't work well enough.

@Venice Motor Bikes - Someone reported that the rear hub has a diameter of 1.519" and with my el cheapo plastic calipers it measures 39mm (roughly 1.535") so it's conceivable that an adapter might work (might need a shim though). I'd like to try one but only if the vendor says I can return it if it doesn't fit.

I also plan on using a 50t or 56t sprocket. Nobody sells a kit with a 50t/56t sprocket option so I'm hoping I find a vendor that will allow me to do a package deal.

Here's a photo of the rear forks. Although you can't see it, there's already a hole for the fender mount on the underside. In order to mount a brake caliper I'll have to drill a hole through the frame to mount it. The front forks are supposed to be steel, but the remainder of the frame is aluminum.

Attachments

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I stand corrected: I pulled one of the handlebar grips and what do ya know, the handlebar is 1" straight, no taper anywhere. I'm almost positive the first one I saw had a taper at the grips, but this one sure doesn't. Now I hope the brake pulls will fit (or that I can make them fit).

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
@Venice Motor Bikes - Someone reported that the rear hub has a diameter of 1.519" and with my el cheapo plastic calipers it measures 39mm (roughly 1.535") so it's conceivable that an adapter might work (might need a shim though). I'd like to try one but only if the vendor says I can return it if it doesn't fit.

I also plan on using a 50t or 56t sprocket. Nobody sells a kit with a 50t/56t sprocket option so I'm hoping I find a vendor that will allow me to do a package deal.
What does it say on the side of the brake arm??

Also, a 50 or 56t sprocket will give you tons of hill climbing power, but might be a bit slow on the flats, (even with those 29" wheels.)
Where are you mainly gonna ride the bike? hills? flats??

SportsCarPat can get you any sprocket you want with one of his hub adapters. ;)

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
What does it say on the side of the brake arm??
Good question, didn't think to look. The brake arm is labeled "Falcon CF-E15". From what I gather, the Falcon's are cheap knock offs of Shimanos. I may need to replace this hub at some point, so I may start shopping for a better hub and spokes.

Also, a 50 or 56t sprocket will give you tons of hill climbing power, but might be a bit slow on the flats, (even with those 29" wheels.)
Where are you mainly gonna ride the bike? hills? flats??
Mostly flats with one hill, but keep in mind I weigh 240 lbs. I've also been watching Newbiker's build thread (another Walmart 29" bike) and he was complaining that his 44t sprocket gave him no bottom end power. Max speed isn't as important to me as the ability to climb hills.

SportsCarPat can get you any sprocket you want with one of his hub adapters. ;)
I actually emailed Pat a week ago or so and asked if he thought the adapter would fit this hub and he replied it wouldn't. I don't know if his reply was because he tried it or what. I'd still like to give it a try, but only if I'm able to return it if it doesn't fit.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I installed one of Pats hub adapters on a hub that was a little too small using a 'beer can shim'. (It worked perfect!) ;)

I weigh 210 & 40T works great for me with 26" wheels... Maybe a 50T isn't a bad starting point if you want low end power??

Last edited:

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
Stovepipe also makes great shims, I once used some to shim up a bull gear to sprocket on a Cat D5, brought the spines/alignment back into a fit closer to tolerance, lasted near on 4000 hours use over a few years of daily use. The bull gear finally gave up and I replace the hole final assembly.

Stove pipe comes in various gauge, is rolled so it forms pretty nice.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here's pics of what they look like (v-brakes on adapter plates)....the hose clamps are sexy and the set-up works great!

dnut

Don't hose clamps make it look kind of ugly? If you used them, could you post a photo?

Right, if I had the money that's exactly what I'd do. Unfortunately, a set of 29" wheels with heavy duty spokes will cost more than my entire budget. If I find a nice Morini motor for cheap, then I might just wait until I can afford a set of wheels. Otherwise, if I end up using a chinese engine I will probably just keep the stock wheels. Might not make sense to some, but I can't see spending too much money on this project until I've at least gotten a few miles on the bike.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I installed one of Pats hub adapters on a hub that was a little too small using a 'beer can shim'. (It worked perfect!) ;)
Although Pat didn't say I suspect the reason he thought it wouldn't work was because of the 48 spokes vs. 36 spokes. Perhaps there isn't enough clearance for the bolts to pass through the sprockets to the adapter? I don't know, only guessing, but I'd like to try it anyways just to make sure. Which vendor sells them and has a good return policy? Most want a 20% restocking fee plus the cost of shipping, which ends up being about half the cost of the whole thing. Kinda steep IMO.

I weigh 210 & 40T works great for me with 26" wheels... Maybe a 50T isn't a bad starting point if you want low end power??
I don't have a link to the thread handy, but when the subject came up about sprocket sizes and 29" wheels they did the math and calculated that a 50t sprocket would give me a max speed of roughly 35mph and a 56t sprocket would give me a max speed of roughly 25mph. Or something like that, I'm pulling this from my (sometimes defective) memory banks. ;) At any rate, I can't legally go over 30 mph here anyways so a top end speed of 35 should be more than fast enough.

@scotto - Those are great photos, looks just how I envisioned it. ;) I ordered a pair of the side calipers and will see how it works. If it doesn't seem to work well, I'll swap them for center pulls and install them exactly as you have. Total out of pocket was $36 and I can always return them (fortunately Dan's doesn't charge a restocking fee).