WCC Custom Frame Build "Alumiracer"

GoldenMotor.com

wolf-jr

Feb 17, 2012
Culver City
Hey everyone

The new father-son project is this square aluminum tubing frame. The front frame section will be made from this tubing with maybe an aluminum bottom bracket and a steel head tube. The steel head tube will incorporate an adjustable rake of degrees for the fork and will pivot. Working on a suspension system for the frame also. The system works like this, I critique it and he welds it... lol

The motor going in it will be a surprise...

Let me know what you think!

-Iceman

Attachments

wolf-jr

Feb 17, 2012
Culver City
Re: WCC Custom Frade Build "Alumiracer"

Just so everyone knows, FRADE stands for fast, reliable, and dependable experiment.dnut

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa

Cool frame, the square tubing really looks solid. Ive never seen it done like that before, it looks good!

Just so everyone knows, FRADE stands for fast, reliable, and dependable experiment.dnut
what's the difference between reliable and dependable?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca

reliable=dependable and dependable=protective underwear. SHEEEET!! it's so fast, i'm glad i had my dependable's on! it all depend's on how you look at it.

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca

i have some tsunami aluminum bolt on rear drop outs you can have. at least that what i think they are... 7.5 mm thick 10mm axle dennis

Last edited:

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
There is a new welding rod out called weld anything . It said in the infomercial that you can even weld gravel to steel or aluminum . Looks like some cool stuff with a lot of different possibilities .

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
There is a new welding rod out called weld anything . It said in the infomercial that you can even weld gravel to steel or aluminum . Looks like some cool stuff with a lot of different possibilities .
Im calling shenanigans, you may be able to solder/braze like that, but as far as i know mazda was the first company to successfully spotweld aluminum roll bars for the mazda miatas unto the steel unibody, and how they did it is highly proprietary.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Not to come off as an ass or any thing, but i work with aluminum every day at work. i think you may be able to silver solder aluminum to steel or other materials, but a true weld isnt going to happen. now you can weld titanium to stainless steel, but its not going to hold very well, and is prone to shattering at the weld with any sudden impact.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
HeadTrama called it, so did Scotto...thanks for good friends...

Headtrama has seen this rod in action...

I have made some progress on this frame and will post pictures later, the headtube design with be revealed...

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i've seen bird sheet welded to steel. so i guess gravel would be ok. oh maybe it just looks like that. ever see the guy at the swapmeets that welds up the beer can's with map gas? next time ask him to weld at a angle. cant do it. he sure can fill them can holes up good. or that 30 year old dt-1 cover with a brass fiting, he's had that for the 25 years i've seen him selling that stuff. damm ya think he would get a newer cover like a gxr or china h/t. wait are the h/t's made from this stuff? slag rod?

wolf-jr

Feb 17, 2012
Culver City
Done with the head tube, well at least done making the head tube.... This is how it looks... made from steel with extra support/strength pieces welded on the top and bottom of the the plates welded to the head tube. The head tube will pivot to different degrees of rake.

One day you'll see me hauling azz down the street with my small race bike, and the next i'll be on a raked out cruiser .shft.

Anyway... very happy with how it turned out

Attachments