cross engine question

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
okay, here is a question that nobody wanted to answer somewhere else so let me ask you guys.

Will a #25 chain work on a Chinese bike kit sprocket. I would like to use a 350 watt electric engine along with a chain drive. The kit type sprocket with pads seems like a good idea to me if the #25 chain will fit it. If not its back to the drawing board.

So if you have a #25 chain and a sprocket from the kit would you check to see if it will work. I hate to buy a chain just to find out that one thing, when someone else might know or have a piece of chain they can check it out with.

This is the kind of thing you can't get answered anywhere else so thanks if anyone can help.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the size that comes with the kit is 415 or size #42 or 3/16". thats is the most i know but maybe one of the other guys know about a #25. i have heard bmx chains work but have never tried

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well if anyone has a scooter chain laying about they are #25 he could check to see if it matched up. REason I'm curious is that there are a ton of cheap electric motor on ebay. Would work for bike assists if I can find a good sprocket for the rear. The friction drive leaves a bit to be desired frankly.

The scooters used a #25 chain. I might have to buy a bit of chain to check it out myself if I cant get an answer.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Andyinchville1 makes sprockets. hopefully he can answer or i am sure he could make you a sprocket. i think he is at work now but checks in and i will pm him a link to this thread

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi all,

Been in and out today but I left my post it note with your chain size on my desk at home so of course when I got to the shop I couldn't remember what I was supposed to look up.... with that in mind I put your info in my wallet and will look into it tomorrow a.m. for you.

Thanks!

Andrew

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks I'm really curious about this sprocket thing. I know that it is a #25 that fits the motor but the sprocket for a scooter is way way too small for a bike. I understand that a bigger sprocket is necessary to compensate for the high revs of the electric motor.

The only thing those kit sprockets have going for them is the mounting hardware. thanks for the help..

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
The #25 chain is a lot smaller and will not fit the #415 sprocket I have the #25 chain here on a scooter so I checked for you.
Andy might be able to make a 415 sprocket for the electric motor I wasn't aware that he made sprocket until reading this forums posts.
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thank you Norman.

I figured someone would have a piece of it around. Now I either have to get a smaller toothed sprocket for the rear wheel or a larger sprocket to weld to the the sprocket already on the motor.

I'll have to check around to find a small one compatible with the chain and rear sprocket from the kit. I can pick up the rear sprocket and chain on ebay pretty cheap I think.

I wonder if the number twenty five chain would fit on a mountain bike large sprocket. That might be interesting as well. I have a mt bike I bought for parts that I think I could resurect somehow. You know, run two chains on it. One from the electric motor and one from the crank set to a smaller gear. I wonder what that would do ... does anybody know. That shouldn't be much different from the gas setup with two chains.

I guess it would since it would make the pedals turn with the electric engine that could be dangerous.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Looks to me like the #25 will not work on a bikes sprocket either and I think you answered your last question but your thinking and plotting is a good thing an idle mind is the devils work shop. He's got a factory in mine.rotfl
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Oh well back to the drawing board. I still like that electric motor chain drive idea. just have to work out the rear #25 sprocket thing. The sprocket attached to the wheel kit style is the best I have seen yet. Maybe belt drive is the way to go. Oh well I'll keep running it around in my mind till someone figures it out and shares it with me.

I just hate to see all those cheap scooter motors going to waste.