Daily driver?

GoldenMotor.com

Firestorm102389

Aug 29, 2013
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
I've been running into major repairs for my truck and I'm giving up on it, always needs something. I have built a lot of these over my past two years but never used one as a daily driver, just as something to drive around for fun. There are a few upgrades I want to get to make it as easy to use as aa car. Such as the spring loaded clutch cover auto chain tensioner, manic mechanic sprocket and adapter, a little better exhaust, was thinking the poo poo expansion chamber.

What are some daily driving issues do you encounter? For rain I'd be car pooling to work, and cold I'd car pool or get a heated jacket (from Wisconsin, living in tx).

Anything I may be forgetting?cvlt1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I'm sure you thought of this but tools. I had one bike so unreliable I carried every tool to build one. A plastic bag in case you have to go pure bicycle and need to remove engine chain. They be messy.

Cheap, thin rain poncho for surprise rain storms. They fold to nothing.

Spare tube or repair kit. Especially if you have a long commute.

And of course, a back pack or saddle bags. Down the road might want to consider a trailer for shopping.

I think you meant the bike itself. But that's just the stuff that popped into my head

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Lots of tools, my tool bag has tons of wrenches two full bicycle multi tools, flash light, tape, zip ties, tire levers, 2 spare tubes, patch kit, spare headlight, and spare rechargeable headlight battery, I have a rechargeable tail light as well.

That's just for the bicycle. For the motor you need every wrench, socket and Allen key, spare magneto in a ziploc bag, spare spark plug, spare cdi, extra nuts and bolts, spare cables, I also carry spare carburetor Jets and fuel line.

I commute to work 8 miles away.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lots of tools, my tool bag has tons of wrenches two full bicycle multi tools, flash light, tape, zip ties, tire levers, 2 spare tubes, patch kit, spare headlight, and spare rechargeable headlight battery, I have a rechargeable tail light as well.

That's just for the bicycle. For the motor you need every wrench, socket and Allen key, spare magneto in a ziploc bag, spare spark plug, spare cdi, extra nuts and bolts, spare cables, I also carry spare carburetor Jets and fuel line.

I commute to work 8 miles away.
LOL, dang Rudz. You were an Eagle Scout, eh?

I kid but your right. Not like your ever sorry to have some thing you need with you.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The thing that helped me the most on my China girl for commuting was an auto clutch.
I didn't carry that many tools. Adjustable wrench, bicycle multi-tool, mini-pump and a pair of needle nose pliers.
Carry a couple of ounces of premix oil in case you need to fuel up at the gas station.
I did a lot of 50 mile round trip commutes. I was never stranded except once I had a tire tube fail right at the stem.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...What are some daily driving issues do you encounter? For rain I'd be car pooling to work, and cold I'd car pool or get a heated jacket (from Wisconsin, living in tx)...
These days pretty much just the rain & cold... but I'm not in Texas lol ;)

It's one thing if you jus' don't wanna deal with it - but such doesn't bother the bike any & little more then some rain gear (unlined nylon), pants & a jacket over your regular clothing will stop both the water & wind from freezing you out. Jus' the cheapo rain gear from ol' wallyworld (about $12 or so) is all I use over my regular jeans & jacket even in mid-winter Maine, though I sometimes throw on an extra pair of socks & such if it's particularly nasty :p

Ride on man :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is such great advise, BA. You've said it before but I never thought about it.
(From survival training) Wind chill only effects exposed skin and kinks in your "winter armor" where the wind and cold get in and rob you of warm. (hot is the absence of cool and cold just sucks)

I really did pride my self on being well versed in the art of staying warm and dry no matter what the weather. Just shows to go ya, always some thing to learn or another way to feed a cat. (I really hate the expression "to skin..")

My mentor in life and at sea was the venerable Capt. Foss. He had a theory that bares true; "Ya ain't wet until the crack of your arse is wet and then your soaked"

Reach above your head to rig some thing or furl a sail as cold, cold water runs down your hands and wrists. Past your arm pits, collects down your neck and middle back and finally collecting in the seat of your pants. Not fun! ...and he was right!

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've got a really heavy duty basket setup on the left rear side. I've had more then 60 lbs in it before. This makes my bike useful for hauling as well as transportation.

Last edited:

mr42ndstblvd

Nov 10, 2013
oklahoma
when i ride a carry a 10 mm and a adjustable and a folding allen key set **** thats all i need to replace my motor :p ecept needle nose and a screw driver

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I go around without anything. No spares, no cell phone, no help. I love the suspense, the sense of impending disaster makes it more interesting. Getting home is something to celebrate, man.
That's just how we roll.

I keep the bike all tightened up and well-oiled.
I don't commute, I just ride around pointlessly. Lolz.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I go around without anything. No spares, no cell phone, no help. I love the suspense, the sense of impending disaster makes it more interesting. Getting home is something to celebrate, man.
That's just how we roll.
I just like to build 'em well enough so that is not even a thought.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yeah, my legs won't pedal after 1/2 a block & won't even walk after 4 blocks - no worries on 20 mile bike trips though - ain't been stuck in 3 years

Patchy

Aug 12, 2014
California
I have had hundreds of problems with my motors. I feel like the stockpile of parts and tools is the only thing that allows it work these days. I always got another part when something breaks!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That's the school of thought I adhere to, too.
(LOL, think I got the 2's right. or rite. DANGIT!)

But with out a doubt murphy's law is in full affect (effect? I hate English) with our merry little band and crazy contraptions in that if you are 14 miles from home, you will need a #14 wrench. And of course, have every thing with you but.

Don't matter what tool or part. The one you don't have will be the one you need.

:-||

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
The List
10mm combination wrench
14mm
Metric folding allen set
Vise-Grips
Leatherman Multitool
Flathead screwdriver (mostly for a pry tool)
Spoke wrench
Extra Spark Plug (and gap tool)
Extra Centrifugal Clutch (4-stroke)
Extra Fuel Filter
Fix-A-Flat
Spare tube
zip ties
and about 3ft of steel wire.