aluminum sprockets

GoldenMotor.com

rob king

Oct 13, 2009
wilmington nc
I recently purchased a 40 tooth sprocket made of aluminum and was wondering what kind of exdnutdnutpierience others have had with them. Ihave a steel 44 tooth on my bike now. I would think steel would last a lot longer.the only aluminun sproket i have seen was from a friends bike with unkown mileage but it was pretty torn up. What is a good source for steel sprockets?

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I recently purchased a 40 tooth sprocket made of aluminum and was wondering what kind of exdnutdnutpierience others have had with them. Ihave a steel 44 tooth on my bike now. I would think steel would last a lot longer.the only aluminun sproket i have seen was from a friends bike with unkown mileage but it was pretty torn up. What is a good source for steel sprockets?
I have personally seen aluminum spockets wear (hook) after few hundred miles. Those who sell them or don't put many miles on their bike will disagree. They are certainly easier than steel for the custom guys to crank out.

BoyGoFast, Dax, Zoom, and many others sell cheap steel 36t sprockets which is a good size for these bikes. I got a few 36t from BGF last year for $12 ea shipped. Not fancy chromed or dished but they work wonders on these HTs.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Aluminum alloy will definitely wear faster- so it's a matter of how often you want to buy another sprocket. While racing road cycling, I found that a road chainring like Campagnolo might last a few yeras, depending on how much you kept it clean and the conditions you rode in.

A motor and bigger chain would probably wear alloy quickly, but I think I've seen some advertised that are alloy with a steel chainring point of contact- that should last as long as entirely steel, if you don't bend it up somehow.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
I have yet to see a motorcycle with a aluminum sprocket, I have one but I don't plan on using it for a while. I thought it wasn't the best idea of ordering it, live & learn I guess.

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Aluminum is an alloy..many different kinds for different aplications..I have a rear sprocket from Jim at creative engineering/Manic Meahnic....400 miles..no visible wear at all

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Thank you Tedd!

This thread is Idiotic way beyond any hope of creating a common sense ending that would be educational...

I think it's time for the Manic Mechanic to create another classic thread regarding chains & sprockets, and geometry. Links, pics, drawings...the end of the chain / sprocket stories.

Jim

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
I just clocked 1,000 miles on my bike tonight (32° outside too) and I have been running one of Manic Mechanics aluminum sprockets the whole time and it's in great shape. From the wear it has on it now it should go for 10,000 miles. I don't know what alloy mix that sprocket is made of but its the right one!

.sno.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I just clocked 1,000 miles on my bike tonight (32° outside too) and I have been running one of Manic Mechanics aluminum sprockets the whole time and it's in great shape. From the wear it has on it now it should go for 10,000 miles. I don't know what alloy mix that sprocket is made of but its the right one!

.sno.
Yes Sir:

I spent a considerable amount of research time to ensure that I was offering a sprocket that would be correct for the application.

Jim