New to forum

GoldenMotor.com

Kruzn

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
Hello! Newbie here!

Just acquired a slightly used engine kit and going to pick up a Schwinn Del Mar from a guy at work tomorrow. He also has a new-in-box engine kit that I might get also.

Is there any way to tell what cc the used engine is? There are no markings and I did not get all of the paperwork with it.

Looking forward to building a couple bikes as soon as I collect all the parts and fit these new projects in with all the others in the works.

Kruzn

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined us. Sounds like you have a good start already.

If you could post a photo of your engine we'll be able to tell you about the size (cc). A good rule of thumb is to measure the cylinder head stud size, not the nuts, the stud diameter. If the studs are 8mm then you have the larger, 66/70 cc engine. If the studs are 6mm you have a 49cc.
Good luck, have fun and ride safe.
tom

Kruzn

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
Thanks guys!

The studs are 6mm, so it's 49cc. I'll have to check the other kit I'm going to look at tomorrow, but if it's a good deal I'll probably buy it regardless, even though I'd rather have the larger engine.

I'm thinking I'll do a couple "easy" conversion builds first. What I really want to build is a Predator 99 or 212 at a later date. Too many other car and bike projects to finish up first though!

A few years ago I had a new Schwinn OCC Chopper and an old 3-wheel bike that was going to donate it's rear frame and axle to make an OCC trike. But I got tired moving it around the shop and sold everything!

This used motor showed up at our church rummage sale this past weekend and peaked my interest again. Actually, I passed it up since I have "too many" projects as it is. But then my wife went and bought it for me! It came with a Jesse James West Coast Choppers bike in ratty condition, so I stripped off all the engine kit parts and donated the bike back to the rummage sale!

Kruzn