A plethora of problems

GoldenMotor.com

password

May 21, 2014
virgnia
Hi all, I recently bought the 66/80cc kit for my bike, and I've run into a lot of problems with the drive sprocket
When I push the clutch in, the sprocket won't turn even with the chain off, and I don't see how you're supposed to pedal the thing like that.
So I haven't even been able to start the engine, because I can't even get it moving.
Now I can push it along forcefully, and hear the pistons turning on the inside, so I really don't understand why it's doing this?
But after pushing it for awhile, the wheel locks up, which I think means the chain is bunching up.
Help would be appreciated, this is turning into a mess.
:-||

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
If you hold the clutch handle in and the engine sprocket won't turn freely than the clutch plate is probably too tight. Take off the cover and hold in the clutch handle, then loosen the set screw and then turn the clutch plate screw until it will properly disengage, then retighten the set screw, put the cover back on and you should be good to go. Also, if the chain is getting jammed it is probably too loose, use the chain tensioner to tighten.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2door is correct, I should have said that first.
Thanks, Tyler. I always hesitate advocating a new builder get into the clutch side until he/she has a good understanding of how the clutch works.

Probably at least eight times out of ten when a new builder has the problem the OP has it's because the clutch cable is too loose. Most of them underestimate how much force is required to disengage the clutch on a Chinese 2 stroke and fail to set the cable tension tight enough or if they get it right, the cable will stretch and the clutch goes out of adjustment within the first few miles.

The tutorial I posted for him should explain what he needs to do.

Tom

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Chain could be bound around drive sprocket in engine, same thing happened to me. Remove plate where clutch pin sticks out & check that chain is turning freely inside. Mine was bound up. Give it a look!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Make a few more posts and then if you have a way to take some pix and upload them that may be helpful for us to see if there is a problem that can quickly be identified.

Ch cking clutch cable for correct adjustment is a good place to start in my opinion.

Map

password

May 21, 2014
virgnia
As you can see in the photo, the problem I found was that when you close the clutch cover it sits on top of the chain, which is why the chain wouldn't move. It's hitting it. What can I do about this? The only thing I can think of is to cut that part of the cover out. The chain and the sprocket line up, and the tension is perfect, so that takes that out of the picture. zpt

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
As you can see in the photo, the problem I found was that when you close the clutch cover it sits on top of the chain, which is why the chain wouldn't move. It's hitting it. What can I do about this? The only thing I can think of is to cut that part of the cover out. The chain and the sprocket line up, and the tension is perfect, so that takes that out of the picture. zpt
It wont hirt a thing to grind just enough material off so the chain doesn't hit that cover anymore, from what I can see in the pix the chain looks good on the sprockets, just make sure it isn't super tight, it needs to have just a little slack, and be sure the cable is adjusted correctly, if that doesnt do it I'd say the clutch pucks are stuck to the clutch plate.

Map

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
Whrn I built mine the chain kept binding up so I took the sprocket off and ground the square edge off each tooth and it quite binding. Not much just enough so that they were not square anymore.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
pic is strange, but is your tensioner above the chain pushing down??
Good catch, crassius. I had trouble making the picture out too. It does appear that the tensioner is on the wrong side. If so, that's a problem.

The chain tensioner must be on the bottm chain run, not the top.

Tom

password

May 21, 2014
virgnia
Well, I fixed those problems, now all I have to deal with is the damn wheel coaster brake that I took apart. So now I need a new wheel, and the engine won't start. :-||