Big mistake

GoldenMotor.com

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I ordered one of those 49cc chinese kits off ebay. I didn't put much thought into the frame size until about ten minutes ago.

My motor will arrive sometime tomorrow but I just looked at the frame size on my mountain bike and it's a 17in. Am I going to run into some serious mounting problems?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Link...http://motorbicycling.com/f3/what-kind-bike-would-you-recommend-510.html

At least 12.5 inches running along the seat tube from the top of the bottom bracket to the bottom of the top tube.Tubing size from 1-1.5inches on the both the seat and down tube. Plus or minus 70deg. above the bottom bracket between the down tube and the seat tube. Inner distance between pedals needs to be greater than 4.5 inches in width to clear the 4.5inch wide motor.

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
It should fit real snugly.............there are ways to adapt any engine to a bike.......maybe a frame from the local thrift store is in need of customizing?:D
That's good news, if all goes well I'll find out soon enough. I don't mind hitting up home depot and grabbing whatever I need to make a mount, I'm mostly concerned about it fitting in the frame (since I have no idea what to expect seeing as how I've never seen one of these motors before)

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
yup but its doable just way more time consuming im on the same page but mines 3/4 built working out some minor clearance situations with carb reed setup

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Link...http://motorbicycling.com/f3/what-kind-bike-would-you-recommend-510.html

At least 12.5 inches running along the seat tube from the top of the bottom bracket to the bottom of the top tube.Tubing size from 1-1.5inches on the both the seat and down tube. Plus or minus 70deg. above the bottom bracket between the down tube and the seat tube. Inner distance between pedals needs to be greater than 4.5 inches in width to clear the 4.5inch wide motor.
I just did a quick check, I have exactly 12'' along the seat tube from bottom tube to top tube. I'm guessing I'm going to run into problems with the carburetor. Any ideas?

bravofire84

Feb 13, 2008
I ordered one of those 49cc chinese kits off ebay. I didn't put much thought into the frame size until about ten minutes ago.

My motor will arrive sometime tomorrow but I just looked at the frame size on my mountain bike and it's a 17in. Am I going to run into some serious mounting problems?
i ran into a lil problem with my 19inch frame with the chain being to loose so i up grading to a bigger old skool frame like those ppl used to ride on in the tour de france.Yea the ones with skinny wheels.

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
like deacon said get it then the ideas may arise possibly adapt a 90 to it stick it out the side a littlebit still i would wait you will have a clearer picture PEACE !!!!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I just did a quick check, I have exactly 12'' along the seat tube from bottom tube to top tube. I'm guessing I'm going to run into problems with the carburetor. Any ideas?
I've got 14" with less then a inch of clearence...I think that will be a very tight fit.

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Well I got the motor and it is indeed a tight fit. I am going to have to create a custom bracket for it since my bottom tube is very thick. The motor I can get inside the frame but I cannot get the carburetor in. I am going to get a 90 degree elbow and run it off the side, does anyone see a problem with that configuration?

Edit: Gave up, I'm at college and don't have any tools. Taking it to my parents house this weekend and I'm going to finish the job there:)

Last edited: