New to the game

GoldenMotor.com

2wheel lizard

Jan 11, 2011
Picture Rocks, Az.
Hello:
I am new to this sport, and have a few questions. First, which type of bicycle would be the best to convert? And what is the best engine to work with? Also what about engines from ebay?

Thanks
Lizard usflg

motorizedmatt

Aug 31, 2010
Orange County CA
Personally I recommend using a mountain bike with a front shock, its alot more durable than a beach cruiser. I ride my bikes really hard, and the beach cruiser I built just didnt last (cracked the frame after 3 months). My mountain bike has about 2000 miles on it and no major problems yet.

I would also recommend to drill the mounting studs from the stock 6mm to 8mm because they will snap if you leave the 6mm ones in there.

Other than than I would get two motor kits and keep one as extra parts because parts will break.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Grubbee kits are pretty good check out the gt5 go sickem it won't disappoint you pair it up with a good chamber maybe from sbp or the grubbee zorst and the sport will become an addiction..lol
I think grubbee may havE brought out a new motor too. There's plenty to choose from out there F80's, zbox's and other Kinds IMO grubbee motors are the way to go.

A min. 51cm mountain bike frame should see you fit'er in easy and still have plenty more room to play. Front shocks are a must IMO.

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
i like the way the worksman cruiser's look and ride. im a bigger guy and its the strongest built cruiser that i rode. but im putting a suspension fork up front to give a little more comfort. and check out sportscarpet he builds best looking worksman type bikes that i saw on here so far.

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
and for a motor its a toss up on how much $$ you have. im new to motorized bikes and i can tell you that. also whats the best in your opnion?

2wheel lizard

Jan 11, 2011
Picture Rocks, Az.
I will have to measure the frame to see if it will stand up to the abuse. As far as the money, that is not too much of a problem. I am really looking for a reliable engine to get around on, no tinkering. Nothing takes the fun out of playing, when you have to fix it every 5 minutes!

Thanks
Lizard
:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lizard, Welcome to the forum. Just a word of caution; It might be a good idea to reconsider this as a hobby if you don't like tinkering. These bikes can be built to be reliable transportation but that requires some effort and 'tinkering' is just part of owning one. Maintenance alone is important, and isn't that 'tinkering'?
Like most, you'll probably find that playing around with your bike can be almost as much fun as riding it. Whatever you choose, have fun and ride safe.
Tom

2wheel lizard

Jan 11, 2011
Picture Rocks, Az.
Normal maintenance is one thing, I don't mind. But I would enjoy riding without having to stop, and put it back together, every 5 miles! I do realize, that anything with a engine will have a certain amount tinkering now and then, that is life with an internal combustion engine! I want to come and go without too much problem.

Thanks
Lizard

scratg