Trashpile friction drive from Texas

GoldenMotor.com

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Hey all! I'm Bucky and I hail from Corpus Christi Texas. Nice to meet ya'll! I made a friction drive bike a few days ago out of things I found laying in trashpiles on the side of the road and it works great! I found a small craftsman weedeater(dont know the cc), a bike, and various other knick knacks needed to build it. It is a first attempt and my learning bike to know what to expect for my next build. I'm just glad to have stumbled upon this great community if people and I gotta say, some of the bikes I see on this sight are just awesome. I want to post a pic, but I have to wait for my "active member" status to do so. No photo editor on my laptop(it's a dino). Pic(s) to come soon.

Last edited:

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Knowing me, that wont take me too long to do! I'm a chatter box! One thing I noticed while browsing this site is not very many people seem to use bmx bikes? I'm guessing it's because there is no space to put a motor kit without doing some welding, and I dont have a welder. I have 5 bmx bikes and one old cruiser bike that I am planning to put a kit one. I think it's a 70's model Raleigh bike with a weird internal gearing system with 3 gears. As soon as a can post pics, I will post pics of it. (another roadside find!)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum Recreative82

I think BMX bikes are not too popular because most of us are too big to be comfortable on them. We do have a number of BMX threads.

BTW you are good to go posting links and photos

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum! Your bike is very much an effort at recycling and creative!
Better to be enjoyed going down the road than trash on the side of the road, eh?

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Welcome to the site, there are a lot of good people and great information. I lived in CC in the 80s and loved riding my bike down Shoreline Drive to the LHeads and THeads. Lots of luck with your new build. A Friction drive is great for a newbie.
buzzard

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You did well and the price was certainly right. Take a couple more pictures of the setup and give an explanation of what you did... someone else new to all this and with little money to work with will thank you.
SB

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Darn good job on the bike, I like to see some "Redneck engineering", no kit, no money but you made it work. welcome to the forum!

Mac

nemlu7

Dec 25, 2008
malta
Working with what youve' got is an art...working with stuff that other people deem trash,gives you inner satisfaction.Wellcome

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Thanks all! Seeing how this is my first, I will just start a thread in the DYI section for my second one I am going to make tomorrow on my day off with the orange bike I just got. I'm going to buy an engine kit soon and was wondering what is a good, reliable, cheap engine kit? All I have seen so far is the Stinger kit. Well, here is a pic of the bike I want to "rat" out.

Attachments