Greetings from Tucson

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Hello! I am completely new to the world of motorized biking but trying to learn. My goal for now is to build a bike that I can use mostly for short hops when it isn't worth starting up my truck and perhaps make the 16 mile round trip to work once or twice a week. I plan on using a 50 cc or less engine since where I live that exempts me from needing to register and insure the vehicle. I used to own a 1958 Plymouth as a project and the cost of the insurance was what forced me to sell it. Anyway I am finding many answers to questions here but I am wondering if anybody could point me to a thread that explains the differences between the various Chinese 2 cycle engines and how to tell which is which? I mainly ask this because I don't have a lot of funds and I am pondering the $120 ebay kit vs. the $250 kit from Spooky Tooth.

For the record I am relatively adept at things mechanical. I've rebuilt a V8 so I figure I can handle a 2 cycle. I am also in relatively good shape for my age (almost 55 at this time). I do have an innate need to tinker and love to figure out and repair mechanical devices. So here I am!

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. You might read through the classic posts. Lots of good motorized bicycle info there. Glad you joined us.......................

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome Finfan to the forum, glad you joined us :)

Another Tucsonan (^) I've been pulled over a while back and I have a 80cc...they cannot tell the difference between a 48cc and a 80cc unless they go through the trouble to measure the motor and I bet 99.9999% they never will unless you really have done something wrong and they want to add as many charged as they can.

Many will use a electric pencil or stamps and put "48cc" on thier motor...the cops will never know. I do know Spooky sells side covers that say "48cc" I am sure they will mount right on to a bigger motor.

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/china-bicycle-motor-facts-1929.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/kit-best-1764.html

:ride2:

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
I have heard some iffy things about the ebay buys. I would say buyer beware. as a safty net, i would head down to see roland at spooky tooth since you live very close to him and spend the money with him. That way if you have any problems, you can always talk to him. I have a spooky tooth 80cc kit and my girl bought a bad ass bike that he put together... either way, i have had no problems with spooky tooth. he carrys both the 80cc and the 50cc.