ready to give up

GoldenMotor.com

augie

Sep 1, 2010
Carson,CA
hi i bought a bike and engine kit and had it shipped to my house about 6 months ago and have been putting it together little by little, since this is my first time doing this i was wondering if there is anyone that lives near Carson,CA that would please help me make sure that i did everything right.please help thanks... Augie

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Thousands of other MBers have successfully completed the task you are attempting, just take your time and get it done.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Augie, It's been a couple years since my first build and the neighbors still talk about the maiden voyage and how when it fired I hollered Woo-Hoo!! and disappeared down the road. Working on the second one now and I'm sure there will be some tension when I give it a go, but you'll be OK. Just don't short-cut anything and use locktite. Good luck, Dan

augie

Sep 1, 2010
Carson,CA
thanks guys for the encouragement and i want to especially thank msrfan for helping me or i should say for putting my mb together today.he was kind enough to invite me over and spent 5 + hours making sure that i didn't leave his house without the bike up and running without your help i think i would of just put on craigslist and sold it.i am forever in your debt and it was a pleasure meeting you and Dan. thanks again

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thank you, Augie. It was a pleasure working with you on your bike. Here he is with his running motorbike. It was a long day but well worth it. Building is almost as much fun as riding. Nothing like a driveway full of buddies and bikes.

]

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Now for the build report. Augie was sold a Micargi beach cruiser with a motor kit in two boxes. The front tube is fat and the motor mount narrow. Instructions said to ovalize the tubing, which he did. Don't like to do it that way, as motors are available with wide front mounts. So we had to squish it more for the motor to fit correctly and lower it so the muffler was off the bottom crank hanger. We used a large "C" clamp and two strips of metal. I guess I'll have to make a tool to keep from butchering the tubing when ovalizing. The rear mount fit perfectly and the angles were correct when we finally got it bolted in. Had to substitute long rear studs for shorter, and replace front ones with bolts. The kit came with light weight bicycle chain for the motor drive. Didn't like it but fitted it up anyway. Put a stainless pop rivet in the adjuster to keep it from rotating on the round tubing. Installed the carb and routed the cables. Carb sits at a slight forward angle but nothing drastic. Clamped on the module and had to remove the spark plug tip. Hooked up the clutch, carb inrichment and throttle cables. Drilled the handlebar for the alignment tab. Pacesetter stopped by to borrow a pulley to match up at the bearing house for his Briggs build. Tried to install the front brake that was supplied with the bike, but the caliper bolt was for the rear so it wouldn't reach through the fork. Wired the kill switch and module through split loom to the motor and bolted on the muffler. Attached the fuel tank and changed the thick wall hose supplied to Tygon I had in stock. Had Augie ride it around as just a pedal bike to check it out. Found the rear hub and pedal crank way too tight, so adjusted them. By then it was noon and Augie sprang for lunch for me and my wife. Thank you very much. I had some mix from an earlier build so we fueled her up. The valve leaked immediately so we put on a different one from one of my kits and stopped the leak. While trying to start it the first time, the chain kept derailling so we installed a standard heavier chain from another kit. Couldn't get it aligned and it too came off. It was too close to the tire so we flipped the sprocket and trued it up in my stand. Much better. My buddy, Dan, showed up with his Briggs bike while we were starting it. Always nice to have another supervisor. Got it running but won't rev very high. Played with the carb settings and it got better with every run. Hope it just needs breaking in. We couldn't get the smile off Augie's face while riding. That ended a good day of tinkering. Augie's replacing my parts we used and I recommended a mirror (which he already had). He'll finish breaking it in and keep an eye on all the hardware and chain adjustments. He still needs to install the drive chain guard, front brake and maybe the fenders. Plans to commute to work. Promissed to keep in touch and hook up for some rides. Overall it was a good day.

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b478/msrfan/DSCN0013.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]