chain line issues

GoldenMotor.com

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I am almost done with this build and now I have a problem.

The engine chain is off alignment. I am using a top hat adapter to mount my sprocket to the rear hub where the brake disc would normally mount. It is offset so that the sprocket is almost touching the spokes of the rear wheel. It seems that it is not enough and when I rotate the rear wheel the chain keeps catching on the sprocket almost jumping off of the sprocket.

Either the drive gear in the engine needs to move to the left (away from frame) or the sprocket needs to move to the right (toward center of bike).

The amount the chain line is off seems to be enough that it isn't ridable. I really need your guys help. I am really frustrated since I have been building this bike for about 4 months and trying to do everything just right.

To give you an idea how close the sprocket is to the spokes the I measured the distance from the chain to the spoke and it was 1/4 of an inch which is really close.

I tried uploading pics but the pic size was too big and I am new to my new imac and cant figure out how to resize the pics.

Any ideas?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Use a file to bevel the sprocket teeth on one side so that the teeth feed into the chain without snagging on it! (^)

Bevel the side away from the spokes.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
No no- i would say to use spacers on the axle- the frame may take a little more between the stays, or space the axle more on the left motor sprocket side and less on the right side-

or if this is a coaster hub- then I don't have any experience- I'm not sure that spacers or washers can be used like on a trackkie or freewheel hub-

You need a photo program to resize the photos- most cameras come with software or maybe you can find a free one online to download- I wouod search "photo programs" and see if there are free ones-

I use 1000 on the long side and save them in desktop to retrieve faster.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Move the sprocket closer to the spokes,mine is actually right up against the spokes so that i can have a straight chain line. Then when its close you can use the tensioner to help keep the chain lined up with the sprocket.

Last edited:

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
The sprocket is from andy and is already beveled. I can use my grinder and bevel it a little more aggressively. I will see if there is a little more room to space it towards the spokes. I also like the idea of using the tensioner to guide the chain over a bit more. Thanks guys.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I spaced the sprocket over so it is up against the spokes. I had to countersink the nuts. It worked! It was just enough to make it work. I fired it up for the first time and it ran great. Not too much vibration and with the 38T sprocket it is a little too fast.