engine and rear hub

GoldenMotor.com

bigdaddy55

Aug 3, 2011
Texas
I just got my motor in yesterday and I was only missing one nut! But last night as I was reading through the instructions I came across the china girl rear hub with sprocket attached for the engine. GasBike is the distributor for Grubbe and I went to their site and found the kit for $50.

Has anyone tried this hub/sprocket kit, is it worth the money?

John

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Of course it's a good deal!
...all the china stuff is a good deal for the money !!!

I have not run one of the kits you pictured. As with the rest of the china stuff, quality is probably lacking.

IMO, a Worksman or Husky wheel is probably better and a disk brake is the way to go when you discover your speed will nearly always be in excess of normal pedal speed, (unless you are Lance Armstrong).

Best
rc

bigdaddy55

Aug 3, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the input RC and the Aleman:

I have been looking for a rear disc set up, but I am not sure what to buy. My bike is a Huffy Big Daddy and will have the stock single spd rear hub.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a 7 spd rear hub and new rim with 12 guage spokes.

I have also seen on ebay and PistonBikes.com an adapter that does away with the rag joint, bolts to the hub and then the sprocket bolts to the adapter. Do you know if anyone has tried these adapters?

My bike is due to be delivered by UPS today!

I bought my engine kit from Pistonbikes.com, I ordered last Thursday and got it yesterday! It was well packaged and nothing was broken. I intend to order my air cleaner and other parts from them as I go along.

John
brnot

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just got my motor in yesterday and I was only missing one nut! But last night as I was reading through the instructions I came across the china girl rear hub with sprocket attached for the engine. GasBike is the distributor for Grubbe and I went to their site and found the kit for $50.

Has anyone tried this hub/sprocket kit, is it worth the money?

John
A good rear drive is one of the most important considerations when making a MB. The drive that comes in the kits is problematic. It takes a lot of time and patience to get it set up right. Even after getting it perfectly trued it's heavy. If you decide to change your gearing, you have to do it all over again. It's a real pia.

The aftermarket sprocket adapters add cost to a build, but save a lot of time and trouble. Which sprocket adapter is best depends on what type of rear hub you bicycle has. For coaster brakes, the one from Pirate Cycle works well. For a disk brake, a Top Hat sprocket adapter from Kings Sales is probably the best.

I don't have experience with the one you're looking at, but it's probably a good one if you don't mind having to lace it onto your wheel.