Hello from the Chicago burbs

GoldenMotor.com

Onewheelsqueel

Apr 15, 2012
In a hole
Hello all, names Kevin. Im looking into a 2 stroke 80cc kit on a Jesse James West Coast Choppers bike I got for free. The bike is in poor shape from sitting outside but a good start.

Other than the fun I find on forums, Im realy looking for input on what motor kit to buy. I see from posts on here qaulity is a issue with the 2 strokes, so Im trying to find some guidence. I realize it may be a vauge request but any input is appreciated.

The purpose of my build is for fun, not to get anywhere dependably. Maybe cruise it up to our local cruise nights. Im a car guy currently with out a running fun car, so Im looking at a bike build to bridge the gap till I finish my bug. I can cut, weld, drill, press inmy garage, Im sure beyond what I would need to do on a bike build, but if need be its there.

Other than a qaulity kit(or best my budget will buy), the issue I see is engine mounting on this particular frame and would love to see how others have handled that.

A few morequestions on this first post. Looking at threads on here i see qaulity is a huge issue with the 2 strokes, am i better to just buy the cheapest kit I can find on ebay and plan on tearing it down and make sue all is well and save a few bucks, or is there a better kit out there that IS worth spending more $ on?

Thanks, Kevin .wee.

mtn man

Apr 23, 2012
Truckee California
hey Kevin, I have been running the slant head 66cc/80cc 2 stroke for a year now. i'm no pro by any means on these motors. but i have been very satisfied with mine. It has been a very reliable motor. I did do some work to it right out of the box, just cleaned up the transfer ports a little bit.i did not split the case because i dont have the right tools to do that. I probably have around 400 miles on it now and it still runs good.
For what it is( a very crude 2 stroke) in my opinion you cant beat it. just make sure you get the one with the bearings in it. i know some just have bushings in them. keep the head nuts tight and the carb clean and you will have plenty of fun with it... Just my 2 cents. Cheers J

Onewheelsqueel

Apr 15, 2012
In a hole
Thanks. I ended ordering from bikemotorkit.com you can't tell if the ebay ones are bearing or not. Also switched up bikes. I bought a Schwinn Riviera cruiser. I flip flopped between the J.J. Chopper, a '40s patina Columbia cruiser I have and ended up getting the Schwinn on clearance at a closing Kmart. I'm looking into a front mount. I like the 3pc motor cycle clamp someone had posted. Gotta look more into it once I get this '74 Beetle out of my garage I'm lowering for someone. Then its full speed ahead on the bike.

Bryson England

Apr 25, 2012
Mineralwells, WV
I bought a kit from king three years ago.and rode the bike thousands of miles. A silver slant 66/80. Just bought a 48cc kit from gasbike.com and built a 29incher with disc brakes. Runs great. Whatever you do, don't order from gasbike. My current order is "lost" sand they are sounding like a failing business that is just taking peoples money.

Mufasa

Apr 28, 2012
Illinois
xct2xct2Hey Kevin,
I am Mufasa from the Southburbs. I've had mine since 2010 but now geeting ready to install a second motor. The other motor had real thin head bolts that eventially over time of tightening them daily one finally striped inside the motor. I'm keeping the motor to fix and put on a 2nd dairy bike. But the new motor has a slant head and larger bolts. I use mine to commute to work 22 miles each way. And I have a 29" bike.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
xct2xct2Hey Kevin,
I am Mufasa from the Southburbs. I've had mine since 2010 but now geeting ready to install a second motor. The other motor had real thin head bolts that eventially over time of tightening them daily one finally striped inside the motor. I'm keeping the motor to fix and put on a 2nd dairy bike. But the new motor has a slant head and larger bolts. I use mine to commute to work 22 miles each way. And I have a 29" bike.
There is a reason why the cylinder studs stripped...they need to be changed out on both. Change them and unless you gorilla tighten them they won't strip. Use proper torque..on 6mm--60 INCH POUNDS, on 8mm 120 to 150 INCH POUNDS.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit