Kit Prices are Jumping Up

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
A motorized bicycle kit that I was watching has jumped up $15 from its previous price.
I guess as the warmer weather approaches, supply vs. demand, greed, etc., are all factors.

I guess from now on, I will be buying my kits in the dead of winter.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Seems like prices have increased a little over what I was seeing last year.

One thing I think happened is new EPA rules for 2011 are costing us extra. Last year I bought a motor kit from Zoom Bicycles, which is in Canada, but this year they told me their kits haven't been EPA approved so they can no longer ship to the USA,

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
It's not necessarily greed or demand. The cost of living in China has been going up for the last year. In addition, new regulations here and there are driving prices up, too. At least China hasn't revalued their currency, like many here demand. Chinese-made goods will definitely skyrocket in price then.

Buy now while you can, the prices aren't going to drop soon.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
its more related to the supply of money than anything else (demand, "greed, etc")... The fed approximately tripled the amount of dollars in circulation. Now your dollar is worth about 33% less than it was a couple of years ago. whether you are buying corn, cotton, oil, gold, or Chinese bicycle engines.... everything is going to cost you more if you are buying with $$$.

did you expect the stimulus, tarp, and qe2 to be consequence free???

Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Facts do not have a political affiliation or an agenda.

The diminished value of the dollar from the Fed printing money and buying back our debt (quantitative easing) and our 1.5 trillion dollar annual deficit are the main reason why things are costing more from food, gasoline, clothing, and just about everything else to include imports such as HT engines. I bought a new derailleur for my shifter bike and used to pay $15.00 for it and it just cost me $20. The bike shop said it costs a lot more in diesel fuel for the cargo ships to transport cargo 1/2 way around the world when I asked about the sudden price increase.

A simple head of lettuce which used to cost us 89-99 cents a head last year is now anywhere from 1.38 to 1.79.

I used pay 18 dollars for a 20lb bag of dogfood and it now costs me $20.00

A 12pack of catfood used to cost $7.00, now it costs $9.98

Green peppers used to be 50-75 cents each are now $1.25-1.50 each.

--Food banks are suffering because donations to them are buying less food for needy people.

Gasoline has risen in price each day for the past 35 days. I drive diesels because they get better fuel economy and emit less CO2 than a conventional gasoline engine-my tailpipe on my wife's diesel is cleaner than any gas engine...zero soot out the exhaust thanks to a $2000 diesel particualte filter....- but the EPA under current administration just nixed Shells desire to drill for oil in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas. Shell spend 4 billion dollars (2.2 billion alone for lease rights form the Us gov't) and the EPA won't approve their permit to drill because the carbon dioxide from ice breaking ships going to the proposed drilling rigs wasn't considered in Shell's environmental impact and it would affect the local air quality. Our president recently said that oil companies are sitting and not using hundreds of lease rights to drill for oil.

Meanwhile our president declared on the 41st annual Earth Day proof of America's ecological and conservation spirit—then completed a three-day campaign-style trip logging 10,666 miles on Air Force One, eating up some 53,300 gallons of jet fuel at a cost of about $180,000. And that doesn't include the fuel consumption of his helicopter, limo, or the 29 other vehicles that travel with that the presidentail limo.