Loctite= very bad for some plastics

GoldenMotor.com

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Man! i bought one of those great looking analog speed-O off ebay for $25
... after a couple of rides the flower nut that holds the speed o to the handle bar bracket kept getting loose.
when i got home today decided to put some loctite to keep it from getting loose.
when i checked on it later today, found out the the loctite ate trough the flower nut and cracked the housing on which it was threaded on...:-||

any possible solutions to this problem?

link for the item
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RETRO-ANALO...390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c635451de

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Always read the lable of any product. The LocTite I have clearly states, "May not be compatible with some plastics".
Just so you won't feel like I'm preaching; a few years ago I sprayed a little WD-40, just a tiny squirt, into the mechanism of my wife's camera because the shutter was sticking open. Yep, now the shutter is open permanently. The WD attacked the plastic parts and seized them. I bought her a new camera. :)
Tom

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Lesson learned... Only use loctite with metals lol
Figured out it still works, I just had to get two longer screws and mount it using the holes used to hold the casing of the speed o together.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Any one have the nylon locking nuts have Locktite melt the nylon?

I suppose I am going full hog by using both, but you know better safe!

MT

Also going to user primer for Locktite but it will be dried first before the Loctite Thread Lock Stuff goes on and the nuts then.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also, don't get it on anything you smoke, it will poison you. If you are working with it and take a smoke break WASH YOUR HANDS.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Any one have the nylon locking nuts have Locktite melt the nylon?

I suppose I am going full hog by using both, but you know better safe!

MT

Also going to user primer for Locktite but it will be dried first before the Loctite Thread Lock Stuff goes on and the nuts then.
I have never seen genuine Loc-Tite melt the nylon ring in nylock nuts in all the times I have done it.

Y'all think that these cheap China Girls rattle fastners loose.... You should see what a bored/ stroked Harley does to loosen up fastners!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
This is good and if it were to affect the nylon part of the locking nut, there still are threads of metal that are coated with the primer and Loctite. Then a split lockwasher and another nut of the regular kind (like me) so that I have 24 of these stainless steel holding on my imitation of a rag joint made instead of plywood covered resorcinol glue and painted over.

I guess you know that having the two cylinder Harley engine fire 180 degrees apart could help that, but then the sound bubump bubump..... is gone. So having them fire not completely staggered has the rider sometimes staggering looking around for parts that have fallen off.

I have an idea; instead have speakers send out that sound recorded with respect to engine speedand load. It would be all computerized and also have a sound canceling headset inside the helmet you wear. Adjust the cancelation by the amount you desire. If no helmet maybe a sound canceling for the whole bike and the rider, but be sure to have bystanders get the full brunt of the high tech system:)

Dream I suppose.

MT

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Lesson learned... Only use loctite with metals lol
Figured out it still works, I just had to get two longer screws and mount it using the holes used to hold the casing of the speed o together.
I think you hit on the best solution yourself. I have the exact same speedo. Still haven't installed it yet. I looked at it, and kept thinking "What can I tell this guy?". I figured I'd have say that you gotta drill some holes or find some longer screws to go in the holes that are already there, and mount a bracket to those.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I think you hit on the best solution yourself. I have the exact same speedo. Still haven't installed it yet. I looked at it, and kept thinking "What can I tell this guy?". I figured I'd have say that you gotta drill some holes or find some longer screws to go in the holes that are already there, and mount a bracket to those.

It dint matter that much after I fixed the mounting problem because shortly after the speedometer stoped marking the proper speed, shortly after words it stoped marking at all. Now I'm just using it to keep track of milage and mpgs

I guess the cheap taiwanese speedo couldn't stand up to the ferocity of the cheap china girl's vibes and speed lol