newbie from TX

GoldenMotor.com

splinterbutt

Jan 13, 2011
Texas
I just stumbled across this intresting hobby about a week ago and I am hooked. I really like the BTR look and have an interest in building on of those bikes. I have been reading a bunch of threads trying to decide on which motor to go with. It looks as if the Morini s6 is for me. I also have a big interest in Pats Sportman Flyer Racer. Hopefully I can get one built over the next 6 months or so.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
the morinis cost a lot and are a lot more then most people need for their first build. try a chinese 2 stroke kit first so you can understand how to properly maintain a 2 stroke motor, if you goof up n break it its not a huge deal, the morinis on the other hand if you break you're out a couple hundred bucks.

anyways thats just my opinion, welcome to the forums.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Good advice matthurd,
I am finishing up a rebuild on a motor someone owned before me. The engine was trashed, But $60 in parts and it should run like new again. Heck afrter the rebuild, it is new.
End of story is I have learned alot about these from the cheap China Girls, tons of power, and loads of fun. If I decide later to get a more expensive motor. I will feel more confident in spending the money.

Welcome Splinterbutt, You are in the right place, with lots of information.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. When you pay the big bucks for a Morini motor, you get a lot of performance. Be advised that the Morini is not a bolt-on for a bicycle and will require some fab work.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
I just stumbled across this intresting hobby about a week ago and I am hooked. I really like the BTR look and have an interest in building on of those bikes. I have been reading a bunch of threads trying to decide on which motor to go with. It looks as if the Morini s6 is for me. I also have a big interest in Pats Sportman Flyer Racer. Hopefully I can get one built over the next 6 months or so.

I'm Hoodoo. I am just south of Austin. Have built a couple cruisers in the BTR style post on a couple of forums, one bike is a short frame (Kingsbury Special) the other an extended frame (Choctaw) but with the more common for the time cruiser type handle bars. Still experimenting.
MarkV is also from the Austin area and has built a Cyclone cruiser. The more BTR style bikes the better, one of these day might be able to get a Texas meet up. I am thinking going up to an 8.5 HP Harley tribute this go around
but expect a lot more work as indeed it won't be a bolt on but my cuz and I want to expand the horizon now that we have built a short frame and an extended frame for 66cc, but the low end power of the 8.5 intrigues me....over 20-25 MPH is too fast for me but I would love the lower end power to comfortably putter at around 10 MPH for parades and such...beats pedaling in the heat of summer parades. I am starting a rural "track" down in Kingsbury (at Kingsbury aerodrome where there are other attractions like very old airplanes on a grass airfield, Model T's, stuff like that), it will be winding, dirt, and around trees and such but it might be quite fun. My goal is to set up a place where motorized bikes can be enjoyed and videoed and photographed in a vintage setting and we have an office and porch where discussions can be had. We have had some living history folks come down for our semiannual airfairs from Dallas and there is just more an more interest with early appearing motorcycles and bikes, but I want a venue that is available for coming down on weekends, not just the air fairs.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
howdy from texas as well..it sounds liek we have a good amount of texas bikes on here.. i too enjoy boardies.. and mine will be done very soon.
Come visit us out at Kingsbury on Saturday, we are having another workday but we have fun also. You don't have to work...you will be too busy looking around.
pioneerflightmuseum.org
I will have my Choctaw down there. We are about the same distance from the airfield. You will be able to see for how the boardies fit in there. We have a 1917/18 Indian and a 1915-21 Triumph H onsite.

Al

splinterbutt

Jan 13, 2011
Texas
Hey thanks for all the replies guys. Im glad to see so many Texans on the forum. I enjoy getting together with like minded folks and share in the hobby. I am a bit of a performance nut. I have been riding motorcycles since the 4th grade. I raced motorcross, hare scrambles on ATVs both 3 and 4 wheels and a few years of observed trials.

I am a bit of a car nut currently building another Ultralite S2k. This one will be 450 rwhp in a 1300 lb car. It is quick and fun little car. I want to build the BTR just to go back and forth to work on during nice weather. I would like to take it to the race track and use for a pit bike. It is a good conversation piece and like the oddball stuff anyway.

I think I am pretty familiar with 2 cycle engines and tuning shouldnt be a problem. I am familiar with the 3 shoe Morini clutch adjustments that was hashed out pretty well on this forum. I am looking at building Pats Sportsman Flyer Racer and I just dont think it would look right with the China girl engine. I do have a 16hp Vangaurd V twin sitting in the shop which I think would be alot of fun but that opens a hole new can of worms. So I think I will be starting with the Morini and I will upgrade from there if I find myself lacking. I would like to meet up with someone and see a bike in person before I spend the money and find its not what I thought. I will be heading to San Antonio in early March maybe I could come over to Austin and check out a bike there.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I saw a road-going full motorcycle with one of those vanguard generator engines on it, and a wood chipper clutch! I think that is way too big for a bicycle project. But if you built it, I'm sure you could burn the tire off it.