Building a Velomobile!!!

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Well the WLA is finished and the Pennysworths' paint is about done. So I just had to start a new project.
I will build a Velomobile this time around.
I found a moped, that with some minor cosmetic mods will pass for 49cc. We hacked it in half and will incorporate the rear section of frame into our Velo frame. This will be a 2 seater. I'm hoping for 40-45 mph & 65-70mpg, when I'm done regearing it. I'm about half done with the frame and it looks like a cross between a funny car and a gokart.
I'll post some pictures when I get a bit more done
Rick

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That will be a nice break from building motorbikes and motorcycles. Better get photos on here quickly or the gang will turn ugly in short order as I found out.

Looking forward to seeing it myself of course. If it has three wheels and pedals you have a motor bike.

Steve.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Ok, heres how it sits as of this evening. I broke my last band saw blade and will have to go get another one (I did get over a years worth of cutting out of it).
Although I dont know if it actually qualifies as a velomobile as there are no pedals
As always let me know what ya'll think
Rick

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,
That build is a peach. Will the front axle have springs on it or will it be a go kart style axle? Wheel type?
Also are you going to make a body for it?

I can see it as a nice alternative to using the car. With three wheels it probably could be registered as a motorcycle. Does the donor bike have a transmission? Man, that is a nice build indeed.

I've been told that our family has a cousin Stephen as well. Could be why I haven't heard from any of them in almost 50 years. :)

Steve.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Steve,
Its being built as alternative transportation for my cousin. He's lost his licsence and his wife cant drive due to medical reasons. So he can use this in the rain and snow, when a scooter wouldnt be ideal.
The front end will have independent suspension. For the wheels I picked up a set of Trailer tires on 10 inch rims. I'll use 20ga. sheet metal to make the body panels.
It will get a complete body package and convertable top (canvas) and will have a complete interior including heat, CD stereo and complete instrument panel. Basically a 3 wheel car without the government's excessive fees.
The scooters tranny/clutch is similar to a CVT. It wont require registration as it'll appear to be a 49cc scooter.

SB,
The donor was a 150cc scooter

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,
That is going to be one sweet ride. Forgot that with the 49cc motor you're cleared to ride. A perfect way to get around on the quiet and easy. Really interested to see how you put it all together.
This will be a velocar in the truest sense of the word providing economical transportation.

Well done, Sir.

Steve.