Brand new engine has hole in cylinder near stud. :(

GoldenMotor.com

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Hi, I just received a so called 80cc engine from a vendor on Ebay,the cylinder has a hole about the size of a pencil eraser at one of the head bolt studs. Is this something I should be very concerned about? I am fairly new to this "hobby" and I'm not sure what to do about this. I did notice that the box was kinda roughed up when I got it and alot of the screws and hardware were sloshing around during shipping. I do have to say other than that, this engine looks a little nicer that the one I got from BGF, just looks like a better grade of "metal" I would appreciate any input from people that know about this issue with these little engines..

Thanks
Bob

~macaddict~

Jul 29, 2008
Do you think you could post a picture, to see the extent of the damage? Also how much did you pay for this kit.

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Do you think you could post a picture, to see the extent of the damage? Also how much did you pay for this kit.
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I Paid 105.00 plus 50 shipping about 155.00 total... Here are a few pics, lemme know what you think....

~macaddict~

Jul 29, 2008
Ok, well from the looks of the picture I think the hole doesn't go all the way through, make sure though. What I would do is contact the seller that gave it to you first and explain the situation and probably send him the picture you took. If you can't get it replaced, you might want to try sealing it with some "Fast Steel" which you should be able to find at a hardware store or auto store. Let us know what happens. BTW: What is the name of the seller?

~Mac~

Last edited:

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Ok, well from the looks of the picture I think the hole doesn't go all the way through, make sure though. What I would do is contact the seller that gave it to you first and explain the situation and probably send him the picture you took. If you can't get it replaced, you might want to try sealing it with some "Fast Steel" which you should be able to find at a hardware store or auto store. Let us know what happens. BTW: What is the name of the seller?

~Mac~
I agree, I would contact the seller and see about returning it. Bad casting...

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
my engine has a hole in almost the exact same spot and it looks the same. I didn't see it for several hundred miles and it didn't seem to cause any problems so I didn't worry about it. there is never any oil coming out of it so I figured that was the #1 indicator that I didn't have a leak from the cylinder it's self. good luck and I also would contact the seller, I would have if I had seen it sooner.

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks for the good info gentlemen, I did contact the seller and sent him the above photos, then I find that there is NO sprocket in the box, anyway I emailed the seller, he seems to be interested in helping me, we'll see... The name of the vendor is A2zonlinedeals he's on ebay ... I liked the looks of the kits online and in real life it looks just " neater" looks like better QC (than the other one I have), if there is such a thing regarding these little gas bomb engines.

thanks again
Bob

Last edited:

tibim

Jun 19, 2008
My motor has this too in almost the same spot. I dont think it's a real issue just bad casting. No problems or leaks after 500 miles.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
My motor also had the hole in the same spot and I ran the living daylights out of it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks for all the input. The vendor told me to ship the kit back and they would ship me a new one (way too much expense). I think a better remedy would to get my sprocket, and clutch pulling tool, and a new (no holes) piston sleeve and install it myself. Will I need a spring compressor band to install a new cylinder bore sleeve?.... not sure about small engines I know the big engines need this tool for installation.

tibim

Jun 19, 2008
Thanks for all the input. The vendor told me to ship the kit back and they would ship me a new one (way too much expense). I think a better remedy would to get my sprocket, and clutch pulling tool, and a new (no holes) piston sleeve and install it myself. Will I need a spring compressor band to install a new cylinder bore sleeve?.... not sure about small engines I know the big engines need this tool for installation.
Too much work/money. Who says there is a hole through the sleeve? Just run it.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Was Going To Post This Before. I Have A Little Kit From "bailey`s" On Line Chainsaw Tool. $5. It Has A Split Plastic Bar To Put Under The Piston To Hold It Steady And A Assortment Of Ring Compressors.

~macaddict~

Jul 29, 2008
Like I said before, just run it like that. If not seal it with some "Quick Steel". If the hole doesn't go all the way through then run it like that. PS: I just noticed that my kit had the same hole lol, and I have at least 800 miles on this cheap China motor. :)

Last edited:

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I spoke to the vendor today, he said he would send my sprocket and "clutch/sprocket tool" and I mentioned that a few of the guys on here said not to worry about it, "just run it" he said do that and if I have a problem he'd make it right.. sounds like a straight shooter to me... thanks for all your replies they were encouraging... I feel better now.... :)

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I spoke to the vendor today, he said he would send my sprocket and "clutch/sprocket tool" and I mentioned that a few of the guys on here said not to worry about it, "just run it" he said do that and if I have a problem he'd make it right.. sounds like a straight shooter to me... thanks for all your replies they were encouraging... I feel better now.... :)
Who is the Vendor?

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
a2zonlinedeals is the guy on the "other" forum, RAW, that they ran off with the EPA chatter. IF this is the kind of service you get when dealing with him they should regret that. Now lets see if you get your parts.