Power Problems!

GoldenMotor.com

dongoyo209

Jun 25, 2009
Northern Cali
i've been running my oil/gas mix at 20:1 and when i'm cruising full throttle i'm doing about 23mph. but when i shut off my gas line, for a few seconds i get increased power by about 4mph! how can i achieve this power ALL the time? is it the gas mixture? any advice will me most helpful.:-||

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
You need to run 2 tanks of 20-1 mix for the break in then you con go 40-1 after that.. I run reg 2 stroke oil for my break in.. Then switch to synthetic.. It will increase in hp after the break in..

ThatPerson

May 11, 2009
Southport, NC
When you shut off your fuel, you are leaning out the engine. That will give you a boost in power, but be ready to buy a new motor very soon if you try to run it like that all the time.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Thatperson is right, it is leaning out (less fuel/more oxygen mixture in engine). It will ruin your engine faster primarily due to over heating. You should check your spark plug to see if your mixture is right. If you are running rich you could adjust the clip in your carb to run a little leaner and get some more power. Search threads on checking your plug.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
16:1 , 32:1 , 25 or,6,2,4? We don't know rotfl Were not sure :( Use 4 oz on a new 2 stroke and after 2 tank full of mix cut the mix to 3. If you use cheap 2 stroke mix, like I do on a new motor to seat the rings..trk

metalmanipulator

May 16, 2010
orlando, fl.
Hi, Dongoyo209. I am probably having the same problem. I have adjusted the float, adjusted the clip on the needle, when I run the fuel valve wide open it max's out at about 3/4 throttle, if I close the fuel valve alittle it picks up RPM's until the bowl runs low on fuel and I have to turn the valve open again. I was told to order an .074 jet.

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Try a 40:1 mixture of good oil (I like Maxima 927) and adjust the clip position to the second from bottom. See how that feels...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thatperson is right, it is leaning out (less fuel/more oxygen mixture in engine). It will ruin your engine faster primarily due to over heating. You should check your spark plug to see if your mixture is right. If you are running rich you could adjust the clip in your carb to run a little leaner and get some more power. Search threads on checking your plug.
I'd follow tadd's advice TBH, as for altering the fuel/oil mix - simply run a quality 2 stroke oil @ w/e the oil manufacturer recommends as 16 - 20:1 is way too much unless yer usin' motor oil lol, 40:1 may not be enough if the oil manufacturer recos 32:1 etc.

Running less oil in the oil/fuel mix will enrich your fuel/air mix (less oil = more fuel) so that's not gonna help with yer runnin' too rich a fuel/air mix - yet running too much oil can lead to poor ignition & fouling, it's prolly easiest to go with the tried & true 32:1 oil @ a 32:1 mix (conservative & safe) untill ya get yer carb mix issues figured out (fuel/air) - then you can play with the oil/fuel mix to fine tune the beast ;)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, 32:1 then check your plug to see what the fuel to air mixture is at. If it's (plug) is black and oily, move the C clip UP one notch, if the plug is grey or white, move the C clip DOWN one notch.