Do you use a MP3 Player/Radio Riding?

GoldenMotor.com

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I agree. Too dangerous. Being out there in the wind with people driving large vehicles and not paying attention, I need every sense I have to avoid trouble.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
before i got into building MB's i used to mount up a car battery on the back rack of my bike and rig up a car headlight,tail/brake lights ect.. but i would also wire up a car head unit to the handle bars and mount at least 2 speakers somehow. im too old now to even consider pedaling a monster like this now cause it weighs a ton with all the equipment on it. i would never recommend riding with ear phones in,but if you must hear some tunes while you ride id figure out how to get a head unit on the bike with speakers,that way you can still hear outside and background noise around you.

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
I'll admit I do ride with some headphones on and it definately leaves avenues of danger open. I don't recommend it especially where I live, downtown denver.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
..........here is an idea off the top of my head,i just woke up so this maybe rough.... first off i would try building the electrical charging system located here http://motorbicycling.com/f4/6-volt-led-headlamp-w-small-3871-3.html thats gonna give you a nice 6 volts, but not to many amps to mess around with. next i would buy a cheapo boombox that runs off batteries (generally these run off 6 volts) find one that can use a flash drive/usb for storing you music on without worrying about skipping from shock like this Portable CD/MP3 Boombox with Memory Reader - Boomboxes, Portable Audio & Video, Audio & Video, Electronics & Computers - nuLime.com ... then i would pull apart the whole boombox keeping the circuit board and certain parts,cut out the cd player cause im not gonna use it and then build a custom encloser for it,mount it to the handle bars and wire it up to the battery on the bike. then take the speakers from the boombox and mount them to the bike.

the boombox wont take as many amps to run as a car stereo so in theory it should work and as long as you know what wires your cutting on the boombox it should work without the cd player part.

now this gives me an idea for my next build like a harley full dresser or honda goldwing,lol

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I dont wear head phones becouse I enjoy the sound of the engine and the wind blowing by....There is nothing more relaxing than cruising down the road listening to the little hum of my motorbike...vvvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John-John.shft.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Actually I think in a lot of states it's illegal to wear headphones just riding a bike let alone a motorized one.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
The life I will try to save is my own.
I have enough trouble with some drivers .
Two times, one woman, and one man.
Have taken it personally that I am using their road.
They both stopped ready to do battle.
I am not going to let anyone sneak up on me.

The police got the woman .
She had previously struck a bunch of kids bicycling home from school up the road.

I got the man.
I don't know what his problem was he will never bother me again.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I wore a music player for years (walkman, early 80's) while riding a normal pedal bike
I used to average 100+ miles/wk, I was younger then LOL
now that I am powered, I don't, ...I tried once, and didn't like the distraction of not hearing the music of the machine

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i dont even listen to music through head phones while walking around, too dangerous with a bike. on the other hand though its perfectly legal for deaf people to drive/ride motorbikes so i dunno

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
all the time, ear buds and MP3 player are never far from me.
I don't see it as dangerous if you keep volume low enough to hear noises around you. Been doing it for years and no problems.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
No. My 0.03$: It's a terrible idea for two reasons:

1) Dangerous, probably illegal, wrecks the fun of hearing the engine, etc
2) Ruins good music - music should be listened to in a relatively noise free environment to be really enjoyed.

Revo

Aug 11, 2009
Az.
I quess I'm the big dumby here, I wear them all the time cant stand the noise the motor makes.

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
it is very easy to damage your hearing with cans or earphones of any kind. they are deceptive.

i will use them occasionally, but only at very low gain, and i don't do it regularly.

Be afraid.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

I've not tried on my MB yet, but I wore headphones as a matter of course with all my motorcycles. I've had at least a half dozen different helmets (fullface) where I inserted full size headphone speakers into the hollow spaces in the liner where yer ears go, then wired a jack in the back so I could unplug and take the helmet off w/o getting all tangled.

"Without music, life would be a mistake" - Nietzsche

Honestly, kept at an acceptable level as to not damage your hearing there's little danger with listening to music whilst riding. What with the scream of a two stroke and the wind roar, there's little to hear anyway. Should there be something you need to hear, like a truck locking brakes, a car's horn, or even the dreaded siren - trust me you'll hear it just fine.

If you get worried, like yer downtown or something you can always turn it down or off. We're not talking about trying to dial a cell phone or something here lol It's just another matter of using your (un)common sense ;)

I'm still tweakin' my ride, so that's the only reason I've not done it w/my MB yet. But you can bet on the fact I'll be jammin' out on any distance rides in the future \m/

Last edited:

dmsdesigns9

Sep 17, 2009
Chicago
My idea what i was thinking, so far it doesnt matter because just riding bike without music is enjoyable, if i do decide to use music, i was thinking to use waterproof speakers they sell with an i-plug connection for bikes, a battery kit to use lights and you can put on the bike, but i believe battery needs to be a good size to ensure holds power for headlights and taillights and use my 80g ipod and just plug it in and keep it in my pocket, this way there is music and i dont have it blocking all the other surrounding sounds then i can have music, mount speakers on handle bars and have lights also without the huge distraction being mounted to your ears.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"i-plug"? o_O

gdang iPods are takin' o'er the world wtf

Yer gonna need serious volume to overcome road noise (and the bike lol) at speed, I hope you have good taste in music :D