harbor frieght strange status

GoldenMotor.com

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
http://www.harborfreight.com/79-cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-69733.htmli went ahead and ordered this 79cc predator engine from HF.
if you search the site you will not find this item. the only way to find this item is to put the item number in the search box. so i decided to order this item. every thing seemed to go through OK, it said it was in stock,i checked out and confirmed my order. the next day i went on the site to check my order status.when i enter my order number it said ''enter valid order number''. so im not sure whats going on. if anyone has any info on this item or the status of this item on HF let me know. if i dont find anything out by monday i will call them.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
From what I have read, HF is still in the process of changing out the 99cc for the 79cc.
The 79cc is still in "digital limbo", the 99cc is obsolete.
Good luck with your order and do not hesitate for one second to call them if need be.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I wish I knew a little more about these motors vs the 99cc. I was thinking about going with the 99cc Preddy for a build but had not planned on doing it yet. Wondering if it would be a good idea to see if my local HF has any in stock and snap it up before they completely disappear.

Or if there is something about the 79cc that would make it better for a bike. If the dimensions are the same and just the stroke and bore are different, seems like the 99cc would be the way to go?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The same power for a smaller capacity always indicates to me that that power lives further up the rev range. I'd check where peak torque is in the range for each of them for a start. A big lazy engine demands less of the rider than a little buzzy one.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
In this thread pocdragon has photos of both the 99cc and 79cc boxes with the specifications.
They are identical for the torque ratings at the exact same RPM's.
Horsepower may be at a different RPM but that is not listed, although they both are advertised at same horsepower rating of 2.5.

Last edited:

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
well,HF sent me a message early this morning. saying that they where having some technical difficulties and apologized. and stated they corrected the issue and sent me the correct order number. it said i should receive a confirmation email when it ships out. so everything seems like alright now.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Very interesting info on the boxes. Identical in power and torque, weight, sizes but less bore and stroke. I wonder how they're doing it?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i was going to go harbor freaght motor for my next bike lots of cool things you can do to them for more power and RPMs but its heavy and i hear alot about vibration in the upright 4 strokes. so moving in a new direction 2-3x the money though.
might need to get a HF motor for something else though i want to try some of the performance parts and my cousin still has his go-cart :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Jonny. The break-in for them is (according to the manual) 20 hrs of easy running. So I take it out of the garage, set it down on the driveway and fire her up. Dang thing starts up hill and tries to get back in the garage.

This was a while back and I made the same dumb joke about HFs not being able to climb. It accidently started a rumor about em. Gotta love the internet.

But truth be told, couldn't make it over a 1 inch lip and get back in the garage. (snork)

Last edited:

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
lol i love it
these motors are ridiculous cheap so it is a good option for a go carting project for my future project i am wanting to use a 110cc loncin and a stretch frame