where to buy wheels?!?

GoldenMotor.com

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
i called my local bike shop and they told me that Ineed to call a motorcycle shop to get rims for my bike... that didnt make any sense, considering i need bicycle rims... I called the motorcycle shop and they told me they couldn't help me, that i needed to get something custom built..

none of this makes any sense.. couldnt I just buy normal bike rims/tires and put them on? considering that is what I have now, im just worried they aren't going to hold up.. im gonna take a pic right now so u guys can see..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well kept maintained trued stock bicycle wheels will do the trick. Anything in particular you were looking for? Worksman makes a good wheel with 11 gauge spokes. Aluminum wheels are plenty strong. The part about getting picky is getting a set up with 11 gauge spokes. They are the strongest. Sadly all my local bike shops around me cannot custom cut those spokes , and many don't know where to find them.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's messed up how some bicycle shops will refuse to make wheels, or even if they're willing - charge a ridiculous amount...

Just as a FYI, you can get awesome double walled rims starting at $30 and building a wheel should be about $25 labor & $20 for (standard) spokes... while this means that while the Worksman wheel may still be the best deal around, there's no reason why they couldn't build ya a nice wheel - they were just scared 'cause it's a MB, so jus' don't tell them. What they don't know wont hurt yer wallet ;)

Here's some sweet double walled rims if yer curious;
Bikeman: Alex DM18 26 36H Black Mountain Rim $23.99
Bikeman: Alex Adventurer 26 36H Black Mountain Rim $26.99
Bikeman: Sun Rhynolite 26'' Rim, 36h PV 559 ISO Black $27.99

That's an awesome shop BTW, they really dig motorized bicycles & take pride in their work. They'll build ya a wheel for the above prices... but after S&H I dunno if you'll save any cash *shrug*

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks for the link Barley Awake, Im starting a parts hunt for a bike for the Misses (YESSSSSSS) Just got her a 50's Spitfire frame, and want to get a rolling chassis going.
Cheers

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I have decided to true my current wheels, as well as replace the tires on them until I can find a good place to get some wheels.. Ordering them would be my last option, because I want to avoid paying S&H, unless I can find a place without it. I would rather buy them at a local bike shop.

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I have a smaller frame too, so I have 24 in wheels.. will this be harder to find? Can I buy new spokes and put them on my current rims? Is it hard to do? how do I find out what size/gauge my spokes are... I don't want to bring my bike into a bike shop either, because they frown upon MBs..

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
i don't think 2.125 inches will fit, the amount of space i have for wheels is pretty small.. would i picture help? right now i have 24 x 1.75.. i think 24 x 2 would be the biggest to fit..

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
stop calling it a bike "shop." a shop is where they actually do work, y'know, machine shop, auto shop,etc...

they're a bike "store." and a pretty lousy one if they won't even sell you a wheel.

most wheels that claim 24 x 1.75 are the same as a 24 x 2.125. just depends on what size tire you want.

if you're gonna buy new ones, you might as well do it right the first time and go for worksman or husky. it'll save you a lot of headaches in the future. they both have heavy duty spokes, worksman's are 11g. (.120) and Husky has 12g. (.105)

your stock wheels are probably 14 or 15gauge. skinny and weak.

Last edited:

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
ok, so if I buy 24 x 2.125 size wheels they should fit on my bike then? I think I am just going to do it right and buy good new wheels the first time. Until then I can just buy a spoke wrench and true the ones I have as good I can..

Should I be able to find these brands of wheels in my local bike stores? or will I have to order online. I tried to ask a few places with little results..

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
online is pretty much the only way to go. most bike stores don't carry any cool parts anymore. just replacement junk for their junk bikes. i remember when shops would let me dig around in their basements, now, it's just "what can i sell you? uh, i never heard of that."

i don't even bother with bike stores anymore. even innertubes are hard to find...

go to worksman cycles or Husky websites. just google it. you can get their number and call. Wayne at Worksman is really cool (but busy all the time) and John at Husky is a great guy, too.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Getting heavier spoke wheels is the best. Then your done with it. I wish Worksman, Husky had cassette rear wheels and not just coaster brake. Or has that changed have not looked for awhile?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yes those would. Thanks! I am still wondering about a disk brake mount set up? Those are some nice steel wheels.