2 stroke Vs. 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

MFC7548

Apr 5, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
hey again just another question from a newbie what the difference between 2stroke and a 4stroke engine? im trying to figure out what type of engine i should get what what the pros and cons are fron each

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
2 cycles use a gas/oil mix to run and lubricate, vibrate a lot, the exhaust has fuel particles in it (spews oil) (the frame-mount 2cycle(chinagirl), is cheaper and shows it in the qc from the factories)

4 cycles use plain u/l gas, have an oil fill, smoother running (minimal vibrations), cleaner exhaust
(most 4cycle kits use better quality engines and usa-made parts for the gearbox, mount...etc)

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Con: The price is higher for a 4 stroke most likely to cover the extra moving parts and assembly.
Con: 4 strokes are also heavier, than the same horsepower output 2 stroke.
Pro: 2 strokes rev up to their peak power quicker.
Pro: A quality 2 stroke is usually preferred by performance seeking buyers.
Con:You can't as easily pull up to a gas pump and fuel up, compared to 4 stroke. You have to measure 2 stroke oil and add it to the tank, or carry a supply of premixed fuel.
Con or pro: Even a European quality 2 stroke goes "Rrriiinky-dink-dink-dink-dink" when you rev it up.
A 4 stroke goes "Bump-bump-bump-bump" on a steadier beat.
As a personal observation, I've seen 2 stroke MBers that ride a "kit" bike with grimed up shoes because the exhaust pipe in the kit dumps its oily smoke almost directly onto your foot or feet.
I ride a 2 stroke moped with a long exhaust pipe and a four stroke moped (Whizzer)
It's all a matter of taste. :D

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you dont always get what you pay for,some websites are charging more for the same quality engines and just want more profit.i hear many problems for both 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines,leaking engines,engines not starting,lack of power,etc..
what extra parts with a 4-stroke,it just sits over the rear wheel.they just charge more beacause you dont have to hook up a fuel tank and line and they charge more for there cheap mounting bracket.and they charge more because it takes just gas.
im not saying either one is bad or good,each one is for the right person.
and my 2-stroke dont go rink a dink dink,its starts on first try and sounds like a mini motorcycle but its more quiet,it actually goes putt putt putt in a steady beat.
and i would like a 4-stroke on the back of my bike so i could hide it by putting a milk crate over it,even thou it stands like 2 feet over the rear rack,lol.plus it wouldnt interfere with the peddals,but like i said a 2-stroke kit is $99-149 and a 4-stroke is over $249-300?
o and my exhaust does not dump on my foot it dumps it straight down to ground.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy MFC. I have both Chinagirls and one inframe 4 stroke.
4stroke; much better ride and sound. No mixing fuel. More dependable and much higher quality (you can get a $500+ 2 stroke, just saying the basic kits for bicycles) Much easier for any distance ridding. Although faster (top speed 35.4 stock Honda/grubee kit) Not as "quick" as a china girl and takes longer to get up to speed. Once at top speed, still smooth and MUCH Less vibration and does not sound like it needs to shift or die. Better gas mileage and emissions. Not as sexy as the classic looking china girl. With the commercial gear boxes available at present, wide and a bit cumbersome. Much better longevity. 3+ times the price and very well worth it.

ChinaGurl; I love em, sexy lil wonders. But loud at top end with stock parts. Mixing oil is a pain away from home, on the road. More emissions. Designed for 1940's English steel bicycles and seldom fit easily on to a modern aluminum frame. They are cheap and getting cheaper. ($ wise) Intrinsic manual clutch Although the clutch on a Chinagurl can be challenging to a beginner to set up initially, it is all but bullet prof later. Price, just cant beat the price.

If one can easily afford it, I would suggest a 4 stroke kit for a first build. Far easier, dependable and less hair pulling. But is a preference thing to be sure. If you get a chance to ride one of each, I would. Lots of members in AZ and spookytooth is located at 1 Cochise Row
Bisbee, Arizona USA 85603
1.866.243.4552 Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Home

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I agree. The 2 strokes are lean and cool. The 4 strokes are super duty, almost as lean, do not look as cool but still very cool. But the 4 strokes are much much smoother and make better power. The Titan 4 stroke which is a 48.8 cc 4 stroke will run circles around the F80 2 stroke kits. But the 2 stroke kits are much cheaper. They are both a blast !! I consider the 2 stroke Good times motors to be chevys. and the 4 strokes Titans to be caddies. Just depends on what you want and what you can afford. You can also get Caddie 2 strokes. Franco Morini Motori or KTM 2 strokes. These 2 strokes are of super quality and is reflected in the cost at around 500 bucks or more per pop just for the motor. These 2 strokes will run circles around any 4 stroke of comparable size. They make so much power it may tear your bike in half. Keep that in mind.. As for emissions, with these new 2 stroke bio and synthetic oils, the 2 strokes do burn super clean for sure. So do the 4 strokes. They are all clean burners these days and get well over 100 mpg to boot. Enjoy the ride...

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If one can easily afford it, I would suggest a 4 stroke kit for a first build. Far easier, dependable and less hair pulling. But is a preference thing to be sure. If you get a chance to ride one of each, I would. Lots of members in AZ and spookytooth is located at 1 Cochise Row
Bisbee, Arizona USA 85603
1.866.243.4552 Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Home
I was thinking, man how did he know that AZ is next to NM. Then I realized Dan is on the east coast and distance concepts between states are weird. Short trip, LOL Heck, it 200+ mile for me and I live in AZ Your gonna need a .cptr.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
4 strokes as far as bike engines go are Gray Pupon.
2 strokes as far as bike engines go are rock and roll.
4 strokes as far as bike engines go will run forever.
2 strokes as far as bike engines go want you to rev it out.
It's the debil. It's a drug. It tells you to push it harder.
Until you blow a rod.
So hold back that horse.
And be responsible.
If you can do that,and keep the oil levels good,
Then you got a long lasting 2 stroke.
The 4 stroke just runs and runs though.
One of my Titan engines has about 5 tho on it needed a simple valve adjustment
Didn't even really need it but I wanted to learn.
Still starts first pull.
Still original clutch pads.
The other Titan I got used from Duane.
Just needed a carb cleaning.
Runs strong on Cronus now.
The 2 stroke is on it's second engine.
Because I messed up the oil mixing.
And the Debil got into my soul.
My 2 stroke feels like an antique motorcycle.
My 4 stroke feels like an engine assist bicycle.
And my 4 stroke trike is another animal altogether!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
these engines dont have to last forever,a replacement 2-stroke engine is only$70-99
when i had a car i had to replace it every year or 2 anyway cost me $500 or more each time plus a lot more labor and lots of money for parts and lots of gas.if you have $300-400 get a 4 stroke,if you dont know how to build anything get a 4-stroke,but if you dont have very much money or you like the look of a 2-stroke get one of those.
and i like antique motorcycles.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
AH! But if you let the Debil get into your soul and wind out that little 2 stroke,just how far away from home do you want to be when it happens?
Before my 4 strokes MOOP1 was all I had. MAN the stories I had with that bike twice my clutch cable snapped and I borrowed my rear brake cable to get me home before I did my clutch mod. I took it EVERYWHERE FAR AWAY from home and have broken down a number of times to the point that my little tool pouch turned into a tool BAG just FILLED with engine parts aka extra magneto and coil,extra spark plug extra spark plug wire a tube a foot pump and every tool imaginable if I used it on my bike it was in my bag along with bailing wire and epoxy putty and man that bag was used often.
I still carry that huge tool bag with my 4 strokes just in case you know?
But guess what.
I haven't needed it for the longest time.
Last time I needed it was over a thousand miles ago on the Buggy Bike.
I had to adjust my 3 speed it was getting annoying on the road.
Usually that job is before I ride each time but that particular time I didn't adjust it before I rode.
Cronus I haven't even adjusted my chains since putting on the upgraded bearings.
I still check for looseness before every ride but haven't found anything.
But don't get me wrong.
There's something about that China 2 stroke.
I love that engine because it's such a bad boy.
But if you keep her tame,it won't fight back.....usually. :D

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am right here in good old Albuquerque Ya wanna check a china 2 smoke try mine. Have to keep in mind I have the bugs all out of this one. Have not tried a 4 stroke yet haven't herd any thing bad about them...A 4 stroke kit sounds like a good starter bike.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i dont wind the motor all the way up and i dont go far from home,if i wanted that i would get a car.i use mine to go to store 1/2-1 mile each way,no more than 5 miles total round trip in small town.if it breaks i can walk it home.nothing broke yet and nothing loose or leaking.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am right here in good old Albuquerque Ya wanna check a china 2 smoke try mine. Have to keep in mind I have the bugs all out of this one. .
Good Guy GH. (I still think "Goat Spokes MotorBike company is funny) Great folks here and your one of 'em.

The 4 strokes really are sweet. Like LF said, can go many miles with no/a lot less worries. Gas up any where. Butt gives out b4 the bike. And no numb hands. Bringing a 2 and 4 stroke to the CT rally and do a poll and side by side. Is actually a more complicated build but fits modern bikes and every thing works out of the box. Neighbors smile at me on the 4, not so much the 2's, snork. Still love my chinagirls though.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Good Guy GH. (I still think "Goat Spokes MotorBike company is funny) Great folks here and your one of 'em.

The 4 strokes really are sweet. Like LF said, can go many miles with no/a lot less worries. Gas up any where. Butt gives out b4 the bike. And no numb hands. Bringing a 2 and 4 stroke to the CT rally and do a poll and side by side. Is actually a more complicated build but fits modern bikes and every thing works out of the box. Neighbors smile at me on the 4, not so much the 2's, snork. Still love my chinagirls though.
Man so many Ideas how bout custum spray painted tumble weeds , you too can have you very own custum western movie Gidi Yap ! Heeeahw. Maybe I could just market my own playing cards, Then the title could work lol. Aright enough about that my favorite Marvin Gay songs coming on.......laff Nah its the China Girl needs more attention....If ya don't pay att to it well you know laffI gotta stare at it and wounder whats next!

Attachments

Last edited:

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
you guys pretty much said it all, i have a 4 stroke on a jag and it is very smooth and quit even though i drilled out the muffler some also a 2 stroke on a huffy cranbrook, had some problems getting the motor solid but it is still alot of fun. there is a hill leading out of town that is about 9 percent and they will both pull it with just a little pedaling. later guys. frank

MFC7548

Apr 5, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
ya i think ill go with a 2 stroke engine one for the price and two there just seems to be more info on them here thanks to all on the info im sure i will come up with another question soon that will need answering