35-40 MPH, Really?

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparks66

Nov 4, 2009
San Jose, Ca
The motor kit seller's ad says these kits will reach 35-40 Mph after the motor is broken in. I've gone through a couple gallons of gas and have taken the bike up to 28 Mph. Is 35-40 mph realistic without modifications or is this just a way to sell more motors. If these motors do reach 35-40 mph, how many miles or tanks of gas do have to go through to get to 35-40 mph?
I weigh 160 lbs. and my motor kit is installed on a Micargi beach cruiser. (I was 177 lbs. but I completed the P90X workout program).
Thanks,
Sparks.brnot

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
It depends on how you gear your bike. Large rear sprocket = more torque, less speed. Small rear sprocket = faster but less load capacity. Most folks use the intermediate range 44 tooth and can get to the 25 - 30 mph range.

Sparks66

Nov 4, 2009
San Jose, Ca
Thanks Finfan. I am getting out my dremel right now and cutting some teeth off of my 44 tooth sprocket to make it a 36. Don't worry, I won't cut teeth that are right next to eachother.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Yeah, Thats The Idea, About Every 3rd Tooth. Just Take Off 5 To Start With. And Then Try It. You Can Always Do More. Use Safty Glasses. Let Us Know How Much Speed You Gain. YOU COULD BUY A ADJUSTABLE SPROCKET FROM CREATIVE ENGINEERING FOR 18 BUCKS. Ron

Last edited:

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
this bike goes 45 mph no lie

Your fuel can flow to the carb? my bike is just like yours.. i mounted the tank that way but the fuel wouldnt flow.. So i just set it up this way.. And yeah the bike goes fast.. the frame is really light!

I weigh 132lbs and im 6'1
xct2

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...the tank? The fuel tank is prolly just fine like that, it's the float in the carb causing the starvation issue due to the carbs angle...

Through trial and error I've found that while you can mount the carb at a moderate angle - one as extreme as yer just isn't gonna work. Looks as if you've got one of Jim's awesome intakes and it'd be a shame to get rid of that - it there any chance of leveling the engine a bit?

It doesn't need to be perfectly level, but this is about as much carb tilt as ya can get away with - with the tabs bent so far up the lil plug almost doesn't seal;

Attachments

Last edited:

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
Sparks- cutting off teeth won't make it go quicker. you need a smaller diameter rear crank to go faster. about a mile an hour gain on the top end per every tooth lower than 44. you loose acceleration and torque but have higher top end.

Status
Not open for further replies.