Engine Painting

GoldenMotor.com

RaleighRider

Jul 3, 2009
New York
I have seen lots of bike paint-jobs, but I want to see what people have come up with in terms of engine painting. Please post pictures, advice, experiences or your thoughts on the subject.

I decided to experiment using Rustoleum gloss protective enamel. So far it is holding up. I will update after I put some serious miles on it.

Attachments

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Depends on how hot your motor gets. But the rustoleum may get to hot. I would recommend an automotive engine enamel. Let me know though, I use a oil that keeps my motor very cool so I have had success with the standard type sprays and it has worked fine.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yes you can. I tried that and it flaked and fell of anywhere that didn't get hot enough to cure it. Stayed on the muffler though. But the intake and motor it just basically fell of. I prepped it good too!

RaleighRider

Jul 3, 2009
New York
Depends on how hot your motor gets. But the rustoleum may get to hot.
I was actually expecting the rustoleum to be a failure(melting off as soon as the engine heated up all the way), but I was riding all day today and yesterday, running the engine hard(and very, very hot) and so far it has held up perfectly. Only a true test of time will tell... If it starts to come off I will be sure to let you guys know.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
I also use dupli-color engine enamel 500* on the engine, but it did not withstand on the exhaust, so I used dupli-color flame proof 2000* paint for the exhaust.
rattle can wise this the an excellent choice and application. The only bummer are the borning colors - wheres electric green and neon sherbert pink? :lol:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
rattle can wise this the an excellent choice and application. The only bummer are the borning colors - wheres electric green and neon sherbert pink? :lol:
Well ya could airbrush one for a tie dye effect......
I have seen custom motorcycles where the whole bike looks tie dyed.
Far out man! That's some groovy paint.
.mbv.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Yes you can. I tried that and it flaked and fell of anywhere that didn't get hot enough to cure it. Stayed on the muffler though. But the intake and motor it just basically fell of. I prepped it good too!
I used BBQ paint on my 48cc GruBee, and it has held on nicely for the past five years. I used Ace Hardware's brand (which I think is made by Sherwin Williams).

Attachments