Panama Jack

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
:rolleyes:Stopped by wally-world today to see what junk might be worthy of motorizing (snicker) and came accross two unworthy candidates. One was a black aluminum framed beach cruiser with Op stickers on it for $98, pretty cheesy but it looked kinda cool....the other was a "Panama Jack" Huffy, a steel framed beach cruiser with an adjustable rear rack, drink holder and a bottle opener riveted to the right front fork leg. Snazzy? $150.

http://www.huffy.com/products/PanamaJack.aspx
http://www.huffy.com/products/Product.aspx?pid=386|4|9

Kinda nice grips on the Huffy (fake wood foam), horrible grips on the Op. I did like the flat black frame on the Op....that's as far as that went. Cheap-n-cheesy....Walmart....roll-back my eyeballsrotfl:rolleyes:

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
There are currently two other members building a Panama Jack. Search the site for Panama Jack to see their posts. I do not recommend aluminum frames with gas motor kits.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
There are currently two other members building a Panama Jack. Search the site for Panama Jack to see their posts. I do not recommend aluminum frames with gas motor kits.
Yeah I've seen them and they look pretty good. As for aluminum frames for gas motor kits...I love them, no probs at all.

mr.WFO

Aug 14, 2010
Texas
i don't recomend the panama jack unless you wanna true the wheels.

my motor will 'twist' to the left throwing the chain, so i'm makeing some extra beefy motor mounts.
the pedals hit the pipe, too. i'm building another, so it didn't bother me to slightly kink it to the inside.

i'm also rubber mounting the plastic 'woody panels' & fenders/chain guard. i even got mine on sale for $125. for a cruiser i'd have been much happier with a more expensive schwinn i was looking at. but, i'll tear this one apart & rebuild as a bmx eventually.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes, agreed......the PJ Huffy is what it is....and I'm not sayin' cuz I don't want to offend anyone that may think different. But it does look kinda cool, donut?

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Yeah I've seen them and they look pretty good. As for aluminum frames for gas motor kits...I love them, no probs at all.
I agree Scotto! well made aluminum is great for motorized bicycle riding. My Trek Cruiser Classic has token plenty of abuse, and is still very solid. I am sure at some point she will give out, but after 1,000+ miles she still fills as steardy as the day I bought her, and would but her strength up against many of the steel cruisers. As far as welds, and frame strength, you get what you pay for. Just a heads up, the ride is September 5. Check for the add on craigslist, and soon on this form under events. Looking forward to seeing what your 4 stroke can do, never actually seen one in action.r.ly.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Crict' me if I'm wrong but, doesn't the Panama Jack now have much heavier spokes? I bought a Cranbrook last year and, if they had this bike out then, I probably could have saved in buying a rear wheel and possibly, a front wheel too (I wanted a drum brake).

I was just at Wally world looking at the bike and was telling my wife that if they had that bike when I bought mine, I would have got it for sure. It seems sturdier than the cranbrook ever was before swapping out the wheels. Just my .02.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
One thing about the PJ is the rear rack vibrates bad and sounds horrible. We did add some rubber between the rack and that helped a little. If you slide your butt back and sit on the rack its nice and quite.

Every part of the fake wood vibrates like crazy when increasing rpms. And this is a very smooth running motor.

Here is the last photo I got of it before the fenders was mounted. My friend did have to cut the muffler and re-weld it so we would have clearance. It was just too far to bend.

Attachments

MRJOHN

Oct 31, 2009
usa
One thing about the PJ is the rear rack vibrates bad and sounds horrible. We did add some rubber between the rack and that helped a little. If you slide your butt back and sit on the rack its nice and quite.

Every part of the fake wood vibrates like crazy when increasing rpms. And this is a very smooth running motor.

Here is the last photo I got of it before the fenders was mounted. My friend did have to cut the muffler and re-weld it so we would have clearance. It was just too far to bend.
i love the one i have

Attachments

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
They all look great! how wide are those rims? they look pretty nice.... and are the spokes the heavy ones like the cranbrook has?