Suggestions for removing seized cover bolts??

GoldenMotor.com

scud

Dec 3, 2011
Fountain Valley
Hey guys,
I was curious to see the kind of advice I would get for removing engine cover bolts (magneto or clutch side) that just won't seem to budge.

I don't know if I can't get enough leverage or something...but when I try to unscrew a few (some come out easy) they won't come loose and my screwdriver just wants to strip these suckers.

Maybe trying to inject some lube around the bolt heads??

Or just use a stripped screw removal attachment on my drill and replace the bolts I ruin??

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've had to drill the heads off and pull the rest out with vicegrips. just get a drill bit a little bigger than the bolt ( the threaded part, not the head) and drill into it until the head pops off.

there's a lot of threads left to get a good grip with some vice grips, or half the time you can unscrew them by hand once the cover's off.

then replace them with some allen bolts (technically " socket cap screws.")

scud

Dec 3, 2011
Fountain Valley
thanks bairco. I'm trying to form the mental picture. so drill a few milimeters deep into the center of the bolt until the head pops off...do this to all stuck bolts...then this will allow for the cover to be removed...but then there will still be the remaining portion of the bolts sticking out of the motor to be removed with vice grips?

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
If you have a welder or know of someone with one tack a small nut to the screw, and use a wrench to remove stuborn bolt. Done it many times, but I,m a welder so its no biggey.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The impact driver suggestion is the best idea. In a pinch, and if you have a helper cause it takes at least three hands, try tapping on the screwdriver with a hammer while turning it. If you have a screwdriver with a square shank you can put a crescent wrench on the driver which will give you a little more torque while leaning into the screw. It's critical that the driver fits the screw. Too small/thin and you'll strip out the slots.

I'd invest in the impact driver. They aren't that expensive and a good tool to have around for stubborn fasteners. Or an impact wrench, electric or pneumatic.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, an impact driver is great, but on a lot of bolts i've seen, it's too late for that. there's nothing for the bit to grab onto.

the drill method is simple, and the phillips head bolts help to center the bit. it takes about 30 seconds to drill through the head, and as long as you don't go too big on the drill bit, you won't damage the cover.

there's plenty of threads to grab onto after the cover's off, they're not flush with the engine at all.

this method is a last resort, but if you're gonna replace the bolts anyway, it's quick and easy.

the best method is prevention. replace all the bolts on a brand new engine, use anti-seize on all of them, and you'll never have a problem.

scud

Dec 3, 2011
Fountain Valley
impact driver wasn't as much help as expected. went ahead with the drill-out method. worked like a charm. now I will replace all cover bolts with hex heads using anti-seize. thanks to all!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Instead of hex heads, look for Allen head capscrews. They'll screw in and the heads will be flush with the surface of the covers. It looks very clean. It's one of the few places I use stainless steel fasteners. They'll polish up nicely.
Here's a comparison. The mag cover has Allens, the clutch actuator cover still has the factory screws.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited: