What CC motor is this?

GoldenMotor.com

red_tx

Jul 28, 2012
Oregon
Hello, I just purchased this little guy and am not sure what the CC value is.. I am guessing 30-50CC. All i can find about the NT carb is that they make one for 48cc to 80cc. There is no placard on the engine that I can see anywhere to identify the motor manufacturer and or CC. No documentation came with the bike. It has a 77-301-1 "Oregon" spark plug. Runs great.. Want to know if I am illegal running her in Oregon.

Pics here:
http://gato.net/p/motobike

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

-red

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hello, I just purchased this little guy and am not sure what the CC value is.. I am guessing 30-50CC. All i can find about the NT carb is that they make one for 48cc to 80cc. There is no placard on the engine that I can see anywhere to identify the motor manufacturer and or CC. No documentation came with the bike. It has a 77-301-1 "Oregon" spark plug. Runs great.. Want to know if I am illegal running her in Oregon.

ed
It's a 66 cc that comes with 6 mm head studs and there is really no difference in the NT carbs on a 50 cc or 66 cc.

Last edited:

red_tx

Jul 28, 2012
Oregon
MBR,
Thanks.! How do you know other that eyeballing it?
Are the 6mm head bolts the only way to tell?

Thanks
-red

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
MBR,
Thanks.! How do you know other that eyeballing it?
Are the 6mm head bolts the only way to tell?

Thanks
-red
The 6 mm head studs are unusual for a 66 cc as they usually are 8 mm.

That is my favorite motor made by NanTong JiaLi Gas Engine factory

The other identifying clues are the unique shape of the fins on the head
and the flat shape of the bottom of the transfer port castings.

If you still have doubts the measurement between the head studs
prove it's a 66cc too. The 50cc is smaller and no 50 cc looks like this.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Considering all the Chinee did was to bore the 50's out to 66cc's you would have a very hard time determining the size of these motors. I've had both sizes and there's no difference externally I could determine. The majority of the parts are the same except for pistons, rings, and jugs. There are some 66's with the 6mm studs, too, further confusing the situation.scratg

Oh, yeah, The "Oregon" plug means that it's from the Oregon chainsaw company. Their chainsaw bars and chains are world famous.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The 6 mm studs were the standard a few years back- not sure when the 66 motors began most shipping with 8 mm studs- We dabble in an inexact science here sometimes I think because distributors get quantities of stuff and may take years to sell- so some of it is older new stock than others.

I have a 66 with 6mm studs- bought spring '09 from bikeberry- I think the 8mm has been out a couple of years now- most retailers are more likely to be selling 8 mm 66 motors as time goes by.

Someone said up above there was no difference in NT carbs- NOT SO. The NT SPEED carb for 66 motors came alomg about two years back- both that and the original NT- designed first for 50 cc motors- are being sold around. The 66 carb now says " SPEED" on the carb body up near the throttle cable and has it's own shut off valve- some old style can be found with the valve as well, so look for the word "SPEED". They are shipping for about $25 while the older carbs are maybe 10 dollars cheaper . The carb pictured above looks like the older NT 50cc carb- I'd upgrde that.

I'm just getting ready to test a 66 speed carb on a 50 cc motor with a billet intake- should do well I suspect.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
The cc limit in Oregon is 30 something cc's so a 48 cc would be oversize.
How is anyone going to know? There are plenty of high performance 50cc's that crank out way more power than a 50cc china girl. Go to a place that engraves pets tags and make a 48cc tag for it. I highly doubt some over-zealous police officer is going to make you remove the engine and tech inspect it for displacement.