4-Stroke Grubee at Bicycle-Engine.com

GoldenMotor.com

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Other than it being out of stock?

Personally, I think its the best 4 stroke frame mount out there. The engine is decent (according to many reports), but I sourced a Honda engine to use with a kit I got without the engine (same kit, different supplier- don't ask, I bought it a year ago). It is a stronger gearbox than the JL Hoot which is more common and the adjustable mounting plate is a must.

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
Other than it being out of stock?

Personally, I think its the best 4 stroke frame mount out there. The engine is decent (according to many reports), but I sourced a Honda engine to use with a kit I got without the engine (same kit, different supplier- don't ask, I bought it a year ago). It is a stronger gearbox than the JL Hoot which is more common and the adjustable mounting plate is a must.
I thought Dax had the only decent 4-stroke out there, before I found about them. But, heck, he's out of stock too and I don't feel like waiting.

So if BEC is out of stock too, I'll just by a honda or other engine and maybe get a BEC kit

Who has an affordable 4-stroke that could fit in a BEC kit?

ricland

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
Mystic Cruiser in Quebec, Canada has a kit-- Grubee Skyhawk -- for $350.

Anybody know anything about them?

ricland

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I got this engine at Small Engine Warehouse:

Small Engine Warehouse: GXH50QHA - Honda Engine 2 5hp Horizontal 5 8 x 1 1 4 Shaft Muffler no tank

It fits the Grubee Skyhawk II perfectly. No matter where you get it, if it is a Grubee Skyhawk II, it should be OK.

Dax does not have a frame mount. If you want a frame mount 4 stroke, it seems like kits using the JL Hoot gearbox or the Skyhawk II are all there is- and the Skyhawk is better.

If you want a rack mount, there are plenty of choices and that is what the Dax 4 stroke is- or was when it was available. I heard all good things about it and the possibility of a frame mount in the future, but not yet.

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
I got this engine at Small Engine Warehouse:

Small Engine Warehouse: GXH50QHA - Honda Engine 2 5hp Horizontal 5 8 x 1 1 4 Shaft Muffler no tank

It fits the Grubee Skyhawk II perfectly. No matter where you get it, if it is a Grubee Skyhawk II, it should be OK.

Dax does not have a frame mount. If you want a frame mount 4 stroke, it seems like kits using the JL Hoot gearbox or the Skyhawk II are all there is- and the Skyhawk is better.

If you want a rack mount, there are plenty of choices and that is what the Dax 4 stroke is- or was when it was available. I heard all good things about it and the possibility of a frame mount in the future, but not yet.
Just called up BEC and they're out of stock until Sept.

I asked if they had any kits to sell (without engine) they said no.

Your Honda link is the best price I've seen so far. It's just the engine, though, so where would I get the skyhawk frame kit?

Also, since it's a Honda wouldn't it be better than the Grubee, or at least just as good?

How much should these frame kits minus engine cost?

thanks

ric

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Grubee only designed the gearbox and mounting kit. The engine usually sold with the kit is not Grubee as they do not make 4 strokes. Usually the engine is a Huasheng clone of the Honda. Do a search on Huasheng or just look around here and you will see more information.

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
Grubee only designed the gearbox and mounting kit. The engine usually sold with the kit is not Grubee as they do not make 4 strokes. Usually the engine is a Huasheng clone of the Honda. Do a search on Huasheng or just look around here and you will see more information.

Sure, but my question is this:

1. The Honda engine would be better or at least as good as the Huasheng clone, right?

2. If Grubee doesn't sell their mounting kit and gearbox without the clone, where do I buy a Grubee mounting kit and gearbox?

Thanks,

ric

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
I don't know weather or not they really have them in stock to ship but the following source shows the GRUBEE Clone motor and mounting kit for $325.00 The Wizard 4-Stroke Bike Engine Kit

ocscully

Thanks...

Ok, I've got it all figured out.

Everyone in the country is out of stock including Five Flag Motor Bikes which is the Wizard link you give above.

And they're talking mid-August to early Sept before they're restocked.

Also, the next batch will be Third Generation with some enhancements. It's expected the engine/muffler will be quieter and a few other things.

Finally, this grubee kit with the Honda clone is the same one everyone sells. The guy I talked to at Five Flag Motor Bikes said the clone is identical to the Honda GX50, which is a 4-stroke 2.3 hp engine.

He said they dissembled both and couldn't tell the difference.

Asked him how much did they sell the kit for separately when they had it, he said $199, so it makes no sense to buy it separately.

That's it.

ricland

cruzr246

Jan 17, 2013
carp
ive got a grubee sky hawk 4 stroke a couple of years ago. i bought it and i was having troubles with the pull start. i would take off the casing helping it turn over and now its just finally siezed for good its been sitting in my garage for a bit and now I'm going to get my sweat hog running. any helpful tips are e.we.ncouraged thank you

Attachments

cruzr246

Jan 17, 2013
carp
i believe it may be the piston. i took out the spark plug and put a screw driver down into the hole and hand turned the start and it barely moved up and down. i was wonder if there were any solutions other then taking the head off and replacing the piston

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I got a Grubee G4 timing belt drive kit from Bicycle Engines.com last year. I made a few minor mods including chain size and spring mounted chain tensioner. With a 100 tooth driven pulley with no freewheel in it to a 12t freewheel back to a 44t on the wheel, it tops out around 28mph, will cruise 20-24 mph all day. Super dependable and mega fun.

People here scared me away from the Hoot tranny which I appreciated. Check my posts, I have most of it chronicled.