Soft springs on new seat

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Hi gang,
I bought this seat off eBay, I’m sure those looking have seen the same one. Well the construction seems solid but the springs can’t handle my weight. Are there any mods that you have used to account for this? Are there stiffer springs that you have found that worked? I don’t want to stuff a tennis ball under the seat but I may have to do something. I’m going to put a lay back seat post on the bike which may help when the weight is distributed differently but I don’t know.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know nothing about those seats accept they look very uncomfortable......LOL not much padding on my backside so a big wide cushy seat is what I go for...

But the main thing I wanted to comment on was that I really like the look of your bike, very clean and the scheme is really nice, you have done a great job on your bike.

Map
.wee.

SchwinnStingray

Apr 1, 2014
Australia
I have the same problem with a new springer seat I just fitted, it feels like I am going to roll off it when I lean to one side.
So disappointed.
I'm thinking I will have to lock the springs up to make the seat even slightly useful.

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Map,
I took the bike out tonight for a real test run and it was not as bad as I thought. In fact it was a lot better than the seat I had before. I'm going to play around with springs from a trashed seat that I have in my heap. I will make it work...heck that's what this is all about!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Map,
I took the bike out tonight for a real test run and it was not as bad as I thought. In fact it was a lot better than the seat I had before. I'm going to play around with springs from a trashed seat that I have in my heap. I will make it work...heck that's what this is all about!
Good deal and right on toothy

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've had good luck adapting automotive valve springs to bike seats. I usually build my saddles and don't use standard bike parts but the spring rates available range from very firm to soft depending on what engine they are meant for. The last seat I built I used big block Chevy springs. I also made them adjustable for a softer or firmer ride.

Tom

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Thanks Tom.....I'll look into that for sure. Where do you get them from? I like the idea of adjustable springs too, I'm assuming you do that by loading or unloading them with a nut and washer? Very cool!
I must say a saddle with springs makes a much better ride.

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
I weigh 250 lbs. My seat has springs but I also use a suspension seat post. Really makes a big difference in the comfort of the ride.
Thanks Jerry.....If I didn't have my heart set on a layed back post I would seriously look into that.

One like this....I need more room

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Maybe there's a way to install 2 of those adjustable mountain bike type rear shocks that are about 3" long to the back of that seat? That's how they do it on those custom choppers that use those old style seats.

BTW... That IS a very nice build, I like it too

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Toothy,
Here's a pic of the valve springs used on a saddle I built. The 3/8" cold rolled round stock is attached to the drop-outs then up through the seat frame. The frame rests on top of the springs and under the springs is a shaft collar that can be raised or lowered to alter ride.

You asked where I get my springs; Ha ha...out of my boxes of old hot rod junk. You might check a place that rebuilds automobile engines. They throw them in the trash. Or, you can buy news ones from parts stores.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Very unique Tom, looks super comfy!......I'll have to look at one and see if that is an option. I'm thinking about finding a spring and simply splicing (mashing them together) to bulk the load up potential. That might work.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice bike Tom!

I like the valve spring idea too because you can get them from ultra soft to rock hard depending on what it was made for... I remember my friend who used to run the front desk at Kendrick Automotive was showing me a set of valve springs a customer ordered with a 500lb per inch rating... that set was going into a big block top fuel dragster tho and those springs were very very expensive... I never did get to find out if the customer got those stiff springs to work in his engine tho..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, Dave. Those are just the outer springs. Actually the big Chevy springs have two inner springs which I didn't feel was necessary for my skinny butt. With the inner springs in place it increases the overall spring rate by as much as 50%. Those were aftermarket springs from Crane Cams and meant for street or bracket racing. Nowhere near what you'd use for a top fuel car.

Tom

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Ok…
Thanks for all the great ideas. I rode my bike after a super simple mod below the seat and it was smooth! I spearfish and have rubber bands that I normally throw away after they start to crack. They are pretty much trash but I had a few in the shed and put them to use. Like a rubber bushing they are a great buffer. I stuffed them between the coils and I didn’t bottom out once! I will find a way to make them look pretty.
It works!
Toothy.

Shaved the dog too.............

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Great idea, Toothy.
I don't know if you can still buy them because most cars don't use coil springs anymore but they used to sell rubber spacers that wedged between the coils of a coil spring. They were meant to increase the spring rate or to 'help' older springs that had lost their 'bounce'.
Your idea is the same concept. Great fix. Cheap and functional. Thanks for sharing.

Tom