Straight Bar for first build

GoldenMotor.com

TheOtherChris

Apr 1, 2012
SE Idaho
After lurking for quite a while, I decided it was time to come out of the closet.

First, let me tell you up front that I am "an old fart".
Years ago, I found a running Schwinn straight bar bike at a thrift shop for $15. My wife and kids were excited that I was finally going to "get some exercise". (Yeah, right)
The rims are bent pretty well and that front sprocket is way bigger than anything I want to peddle, so I quietly started to plan a MB.

This year I ordered a HT engine from (can't remember). The engine arrived quickly. It is a 66/80cc slant head with adjustable NT carb.
As this old bike is not a V-frame, I had to mill up a new front mount for the engine in order to allow it to clear that big front crank sprocket.

Then when I went to mount the new rear sprocket from the kit, I discovered that it would not fit over the Schwinn/Bendix coaster brake hub.
So, I mounted it in the lathe.

Who knew a camera's eyes could be as bad as mine. :)

After turning out the center, the sprocket mounted up to the rear wheel just fine.

Since this bike has been out of service for years, I figured I should take a look at the hubs. Good thing too. The grease had the texture of clay, so I cleaned and repacked the bearings.
I broke that cheap spark plug boot and replaced it with an NGK one.

When I finally got everything up and running, I headed down the street. (Yes, I used the recommended gas/oil mix for the first tank).

The bike made it about 30 seconds and seized up. Further inspection indicated crank bearings had failed.
I emailed the seller and they agreed to take the engine back. They sent me another and it had a completely different set of problems.
The head did not seal down against the cylinder. There was no room left to tighten them down, so I figured I would pull them and add a washer or two.
As I began to loosen them, I realized the entire stud was turning out.
Closer inspection revealed the acorn nuts on the head are NOT meant for these studs. Each had been forced on about 2 turns. I pulled them all and added two washers and bolted everything back in place. (I will replace the studs and nuts at a later date).

Wouldn't idle for crap, so I added an O-ring to the end of the intake tube and that took care of it.

First tank of fuel GPS'd a speed of only 22mph.
Now, I know I mentioned I was old, but I am also a 220 pound couch potato attempting to run this bike at an elevation of about 4800' above sea level??

After 30 miles of break-in, I thought the float was sticking as fuel was pouring out of the carb. got it home and tore the carb apart and found a small piece of white plastic (probably from that cheap inline filter) stuck. Cleaned everything out and added a good inline filter. When I got to the second gallon of fuel, I decided to port match the intake and exhaust and begin to adjust the air/fuel mixture. With the extended NGK plug I am running, the engine currently likes the second notch from the top on the needle.

I now GPS 26mph with the stock 44T sprocket and still on the second gallon of fuel.

I did this mostly on a whim and have learned that I LIKE motorized bicycles.
I am now planning to replace the bent rims with something better and lace in a drum hub for the front. I also want to get an in frame tank from sportscarpat and repaint for a more classic look.

But I can see things like shift kits, 4-strokes and more bikes in my future.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
From one old fart to another, welcome to the forum! That's a sweet straight bar Schwinn you found. Do you know the year? This is fun, isn't it? Fun riding and fun tinkering, too. And there is good exercise with these... you have to stretch the old leg a good bit to swing it up there and get on the bike. That's exercise. Getting off, too.
SB

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i kinda like the bike the way it is,patina on the wheels,makes for a nice touch.
only thing i would change is the gas tank,cusom built to fit inside the two top tubes.
welcome to the hobby,i just got into it myself.
now if i can get out of the car hobby,chase away all my friends and family that keep wanting their vehicles repaired and direct my tools towards building bikes, i would be one happy camper-er-cyclist.

TheOtherChris

Apr 1, 2012
SE Idaho
I don't know the year on the bike.

I considered leaving the rims AS-IS for a rat rod look, but I think they are beyond hope for being trued. Shame too, because a tin can fuel tank on the back would go right along with that theme.

I am a little concerned about this hobby though. I am already having people ask if I will build for them. I don't want to go down that path. I too have been there with cars and people seem to think that once you work on it, you need to fix whatever breaks for as long as they own the dang thing.
My other concern is getting carried away. I can see it would be very easy to end up with 4 or 5 of these things "just because".

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I hear you on your concerns. I made the mistake of agreeing to build a 49 Panther for a friend who just had to have a bike like my 50. I found him a frame on ebay, won the auction, ordered all the parts, painted the frame, installed the 4 stroke engine. He had to have everything first class and complained the whole time at how much it was costing him for Worksman wheels, etc.. I charged very little for my labor because he was my friend and I thought I'd finally have somebody local to go riding with.

Big mistake. He ran the bike full throttle from day one, did not do any routine maintenance that I could see and several times I had the bike back again fixing this or that. Seemed like my own bike never had problems with the same engine and transmission, but his was different.

I saw him recently and he wondered if I could sell his bike for him. I didn't give him a flat no, but should have. I'm going to suggest he sell it on ebay himself, or advertise in the local paper and craigslist.

Be careful building for a relative or friend. I sold another 4 stroke Vintage Schwinn, this time on ebay and once delivered to the buyer I never heard from him again. That's the way to do it.

And yes, one build can easily turn into a second and a third. I think that's harmless enough if it gives a lot of pleasure. It gives me something to do and think about, a creative outlet and problems to solve. It has also given me this forum and a number of friends here. I don't smoke, drink, gamble, have a girlfriend or expensive tastes. I do blow money on bike stuff. Compared to building cars, it is cheap. I think it's good, healthy fun. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It's great being twelve again, at least when I'm riding me motorbike. Woohoo!
SB

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i want to build at least one more,so i can tear my first one apart and do a real build,customize some parts and and new paint.with two,i can build one and ride the other.
it would take quite a few bikes to fill my garage,and i can at leats carry them (unlike a car)
i have a couple bike here,another one that wants a motor.
looking for one similar to what the OP has started with (i had one from the 40's,gave it away)
hoping to build an old cruiser.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
I'm just finishing putting together my china girl for the 2nd time. I built it in 2008, sold it in 2010 and the guy seized the engine up and gave the bike back to me. I was going to just strip the heavy duty wheels and MM sprocket adaptor off the bike for my 99cc Predator build, but it looked so good I'm putting another motor on this one first and then will start the Preddy build.

I have built several Jeeps for rockcrawling and this hobby is no where near the dollar amount I was putting into those Jeeps so I think I can have 2-3 for different occassions. LOL I'm in the same boat of keeping family and friends at bay so I have time to work on the bike and not working on their junk

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i put a word out with a couple friends,and the eyes are peeled for old bikes in the scrap piles and recycle depot.
lol,when it comes to fixing cars,i was doing an axle shat swap over the phone last weekend,i should have driven the hour and done it myself.would have been less stress.would have got my bro off my back for a whole day.20 phone calls.

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Hi there, welcome to the forum. Nice build so far, make sure to take care of the straightbar frame... as they are a rare commodity these days. Check into Sportsman Pats in-frame tank, it will compliment your bike well. Take care ride safe

Frank

TheOtherChris

Apr 1, 2012
SE Idaho
Yeah, the SportsCarPat tank is on my list for that one.
I have also realized the wisdom in having at least 2 MBs. That way I have one to ride and one to work on.
So, I bought a Schwinn Riverside from Wally World today to motorize so I can spend more time on the straight bar to get it right.

ETA:
Wow. I just inspected the axles on this new bike and it looked like one of the old ladies working in the factory just sneezed into the bearings and called it good for grease.
I have now disassembled everything to grease the head tube, crank and wheel bearings.
Next on the list is to make some decent support stays for the fenders. Those stamped ones are mushugina. I am thinking one piece ¼ inch steel rod hooped with the ends flattened. THAT should keep the fenders out of the wheels.

Last edited: