Gas Caps

GoldenMotor.com

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
I didn't like the gas cap that came on my tank. As much as I have into this bike, what to heck spring for a nicely chromed cap. I found one on ebay. Can't guarantee that using it on this application is correct but it has worked nicely for me. The dimensions are correct and as I understand it is vented. It is really nice. It is Honda and labeled GAS on the top of the cap. Probably there are more left. I am not the vendor for these caps nor do I know anyone that is. Just passing along one of my finds.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Any pics or links?
Just do a search on ebay for Honda gas caps. They have "gas" printed on the top of the cap. I can't guarantee the fit, but, mine fits perfectly on the standard motor bicycle gas tank. They are at least triple chromed IMHO. Top quality as you would expect in a Honda product.

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Do you have any problems of leaking fuel from the top of the tank? With my stock cap, I have not been able to control the spilling over, even while riding.
Thank you.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Do you have any problems of leaking fuel from the top of the tank? With my stock cap, I have not been able to control the spilling over, even while riding.
Thank you.

Mine also 'seeps' just a little........I prefer to think of it as 'proper venting'. :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You can add an 'O' ring under the cap's rubber seal. That will stop the seeping usually. However, there is an opening where the cap vents to the atmosphere that can seep due to vibration, especially with a full tank.
Look at your fuel cap and you'll see a dented in spot, a peen, on the outer edge. It is there to distort the inner and outer cap parts and causes a small separation where air can get in but sometime it also lets fuel out.

Tom

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
With my cap, almost every bump, fuel will come out of the tank. My first bike and motor I had before it got stolen, the cap was real tight. I could turn the bike upside down and I would not lose any fuel. I did a time ago install another gasket or o-ring, and it did not help too much. I also would like to change the cap because I can pull up on one side of the cap (since when does a circle have a side) (chuckle) and it pulls right up.. simply because the two tabs that close the tank are too short...
thank you for your replies.
Dave

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've had six different peanut kit tanks all from BGF kits and not one of them seeps or leaks enough to realize it, after a while. I get a little bit oily residue around cap after a while but no fuel spillage.

Must have gotton lucky with all my tanks......knock on wood!

Map