The Sledgehammer Build

GoldenMotor.com

Whistle Tip

Feb 20, 2012
Orange County, CA
Inspired by the film napoleon dynamite, "the sledgehammer" is pedro's most excellant bike. Its spectacular nature is much more than our bike could ever be but none the less we will try to do that medieval warrior haired entrepreneur justice...

Howdy this is the continuation of my previous post "Will My Ryobi 30cc Engine Do The Job?" This is me and my partner's first build.

Where it has been left: Me and my partner "Beetus" have for $50 bought a working (ghetto) Ryobi Ss30 Weed Whacker roughly 3 years old. What i gather from that post is that i should have waited on buying it, but for the most part the engine works.

Our Plan: Make a static mount to our 21" AutoBike Classic, where a friction drive via a rubber roller will provide power. We will see whether it is worth it to make the obligitory sissor clutch to engage and disengage our engine.

From this we have detached the extending weed whacker part, tested the spark plug, and overall tried to familiarize with the choke system. You pull start on A (full choke) if it is cold, B, if it is Hot (or as pedro says "hoht"), then switch it on to no choke C. The engine is a two stroke so needs a mix as well.

However as you can see in the picture is the engine is leaking gas. This is the result of a cracked primer bulb. Suggestions on how to handle this?
I was hoping we could drain the gas and then melt the bulb to seal it.

Anyway, the next step im going to make is getting a throttle cable that will reach from the mount to a throttle lever on the handle bars. I have the cable from the weed whacker and if we could sauter an extended cable to it we could save the money in buying a new cable.

Also,
Our rubber roller is going to be secured to the shaft of the engine with a flange collar. But what i am wondering is whether it is common to remove the centrifugal clutch, it does provide to us the ability to idle.

I would like to hear what you guys have done for a throttle system, whether there is any other suggestions or questions regarding my mounting plan, and lastly what you have done for a roller system.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
staton-inc Has rollers you can buy in a verity of sizes..........You take the #'s and just get a new primer bulb easyist..............Curt

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well I laughed at the Napoleon Dynamite movie... lol

don't recall sledgehammer or any other details, but it was a funny movie abt a goofy kid.

Your ryobi will be fine.
Have a look at some of the FD threads for insight on how to attach it to your bike.

a 1 1/8" steel roller is popular, so u might not need that ruuber thang, but other materials have been used successfully. The clutch will probably be problematic, so most folks seem to use a simple 'lifting mechanism' so the engine isn't engaged with the tire all the time.

Maurtis and A_dam have some very recent threads that should be of benefit to you in your project.

Best
rc

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You can get a new primer bulb for about 4 bux from NAPA auto parts. You can buy a Stanton kit without the motor, and I think a copy from somewhere else. All you have to do is bolt on your engine with the clutch, and install it rackmount style.

Whistle Tip

Feb 20, 2012
Orange County, CA
You can get a new primer bulb for about 4 bux from NAPA auto parts. You can buy a Stanton kit without the motor, and I think a copy from somewhere else.
No luck at my local NAPA store but i did check for the heck of it home depot, (assuming since they endorse Royobi i figured i'd have luck). So there you go, i got a fricken bulb for $7.95. but thanks for the tip! whistle tip that is haha!

Rustycase- yes napoleon dynamite is like a fine french wine grown over soil that is walked upon by the cleansed feet of monks, it only becomes greater with age...but that is beside the point, i am subscribed to a_dam's latest post and yea any input will only help. Well what clutch would be problematic, the centrifugal clutch? That would be if me and my buddy are gonna make a mount that disegages the engine. I do understand that a lot of times most people prefer this so i will in-tern have to make a design, but im not necessarily there yet, and need to hear some more advice..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iUQqp-zU8

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WT, if W sez the clutch is good to go, his word trumps mine!

I've got a ryobi 4 smoke here I haven't even fired up yet!
Truck ran over the cutter boom, so motor is all good.

I hope to use it with the FoxDrive, and if has a clutch in any kind of decent condition, I will do my best to use it.

Good luck
rc