Custom seat pan

GoldenMotor.com

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
So..... I've gone through three different types/styles of nana seats so far. I've tried the three widest, softest ones I can find available for purchase at my LBC or online. Not a single one of them offer any real level of comfort or quality for long rides, or anything short of scooting around the block, or down the road and back.

While sitting on one of my old skateboard decks the other week it was suggested to me that I should just bolt that on my bike and call it a seat. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it was a great idea! The nose of the deck offered the perfect concave, and geometry that I was already thinking about pounding out of some steel when my wallet could afford it.

I couldn't think of a better way to keep with the rat rod culture than to repurpose what would otherwise be junk into a functional piece of equipment. So after some measurements, I got the cutout done. This is the first stage. I just got back from the fabric store with a yard of quality leather, and a block of reliable, comfortable foam, and a foam shaping tool.

I will post more pics up as I get more done with the project.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Wow! That's pretty innovative, that is beyond the prefect shape for a seat, throw in some padding and you've got yourself a nice comfy seat, add that with your springs, you'll never want to get off! Ingenious.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bones, there is a foam that they call 'motorcycle foam'. It is very high density foam and a 2" pad will be sufficient for a saddle. I know there are grades of foam rubber designated by numbers but I don't know what motorcycle foam equates to but it is firm.
I've used it for several saddles and it will absorb the bumps and protect my bony little rear just fine.
Check with your foam supplier to see what they recommend for the firmest foam rubber available. The thinner the saddle the better it will look on your seat design.
Good luck and show us the finished product.

Tom

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have done a few since I have kids with all kinds of skateboards around this house. You did a nice job on that one. I have purchased the motorcycle foam used on superbikes and not really worth the cost. Be creative like you have showed and make some kind of pad.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Foam (for some reason) is not cheap. The block I bought is standard stuff, and was still $35.00 WOW!!

Thanks for the info guys, I'll be bookmarking for sure.
Tomorrow is cut and shape day for the foam, so we'll see what happens. I'll update pics for sure. I plan on doing a standard straight wrap with no seams for my first seat build. Better safe than sorry ya know. lol

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
kinda looks like a wide banana seat. I like it!
Heres my new seat pan. Well more of a saddle then a seat.
You cant go wrong with one of these (10$ at the the tractor yard)
1/2 inch dense seat foam( recycled)
some repurposed leather from a jacket (13$ at goodwill) when Im finished ill post a pik
It is off a hay rake

Attachments

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Tractor pans...........

I had my eye on one of those the other night at Fleet Farm. I was fantasizing a four stroke build in my mind around one.

Nice find!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
O'll Ratt Bones been a reading my mind. ( whered I put my tinfoil hat? ) I've been thinking for a while bout cutting up an old skateboard for makin a wide banana seat for my Felt Torch chopper. Couldn't get past how to mount it though. This is good timing Ratt. I get to watch you go first! SUBSCRIBED!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
kinda looks like a wide banana seat. I like it!
Heres my new seat pan. Well more of a saddle then a seat.
You cant go wrong with one of these (10$ at the the tractor yard)
1/2 inch dense seat foam( recycled)
some repurposed leather from a jacket (13$ at goodwill) when Im finished ill post a pik
It is off a hay rake
Rick. You could probably sell a few of them on here; and certainly on the Ratrod bikes site. I'd just hit that with a Scotchbright pad to get the heavy corrosion off and have done. Be great on a ratty build!

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
I have it done and mounted. Pics to come later.
As for mounting, I used the mount from a cheap F&R nana sadle,and some simple "L" brackets to attach to the sissy bar.

Took most of the day/evening to cut the foam, and stretch the leather.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Great idea using skateboards. Leave the trucks and wheels on for alternate transportation. Ride your motorbike to the beach, lock it up good and have a quick release to remove the board for the beach trail. I've been using rebond for years on various projects like mini bikes and go karts. I've also used carpet padding gluing several thicknesses together. Works great and it's free behind the carpet store.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Great idea using skateboards. Leave the trucks and wheels on for alternate transportation. Ride your motorbike to the beach, lock it up good and have a quick release to remove the board for the beach trail. I've been using rebond for years on various projects like mini bikes and go karts. I've also used carpet padding gluing several thicknesses together. Works great and it's free behind the carpet store.
^^ I like this idea! ^_^